Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ACS712 to detect ZERO amps

Status
Not open for further replies.

igeorge

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I would like to ask some help in using Allegro's ACS712.
According with data sheet , will sense the AC current, BUT, the voltage goes from .5V at -20A to 0V at no current flowing at all ( or zero crossing), then goes up to 4.5 A for +20 A
In my application, i have a heater which i try to put an alarm if the resistance is burned out and is no current flowing through the chip 712
I do not know how to implement this.
All i need is like a digital output converter
If current is bigger than 0.5 , in either direction ( I am using 120VAC) to get an output to an optocoupler. or what ever .
I can drive a transistor or something else and get the alarm.
When the heater is burned out , and is no current flowing , even if the ACS712 give me 2.5 volts, i need to get a ZERO, or in other words, turn the transistor off, or alarm ON.
Please help as i do not have a clue how to integrate or use chips to achieve that..
My biggest problem is that 2.5 volts present when is no current flowing.
Thank you
Ion

You should read datasheet for ACS712-20 0A is at 2,5V and 20A is at 4,5V and 0,5V is -20A.

Search existing EDABoard threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.