Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC voltage step down to get its rms without using step down tranformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

afridii

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all
i need to get RMS voltage of AC main. the specifications are
5oHz and maximum RMS expected is 230volts.
kindly help in detail. i studied a bit using OP AMP but i am not sure of safety for the resistors Ri and Rf
the link is **broken link removed**

kindly help if someone has better idea

The opamp and microcontroller are both connected directly to the 230VAC which is a deadly danger. Isolation is needed.
Voltage spikes on the 230VAC will destroy an opamp. An input protection circuit is needed.
The input resistor needs to be made to use high voltages.

A mains connected measurement circuit will be designed according to a proper overvoltage category. Usual CAT II requires the circuit to widthstand a test voltage of 1500 to 2500 (depending on the applied standard) for 1 min. Using standard 0.5 or 1 W resistors, multiple resistors have to be connected in series.

A dual voltage divider and differential amplifier might be useable instead of galvanic isolation.

should i use step down transformer which is safer and ensure isolation ??

A transformer is a simple and safe solution. It's however difficult to achieve high accuracy with a transformer. Standard transformers have considerable nonlinearity, a dedicated metering transformer is large and expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back