Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC signal conditioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjmcousineau

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ac signal conditioning

I was wondering if anyone could point me to some good referances on how to attentuate an AC signal (120/240v 60hz) down to managable levels for reading with a ADC. The ADC will likely be 0-5v input. I was looking at using opamps to attenuate but would appreciate some direction.

Thank you.

If you need isolation then an isolation step-down transformer (120/240-to-5) is a good option ..

If you don't need isolation try to design a simple 2-resistor voltage divider ..
Below is an example of an input of a digital voltmeter with voltage selector ..

Regards,
IanP

I was just wondering what is the purpose of the two opposing zener diodes just after the 1M resistor?

This combination works as AC voltage limiter:

For positive signals, the clip level begins at

V LIM POS = Vf D1 + VZ D2 = 0.7V + 5.1V ≈ +5.8V

where Vf D1 is the forward diode voltage of D1 and VZ D2 is the zener voltage of D2. Likewise, the negative clip level is set at

V LIM NEG = - ( Vf D2 + VZ D1 ) ≈ -5.8V

Above these levels the diodes conduct, clamping the output voltage to the same level.

Regards,
IanP

jjmcousineau

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.