Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC power connected to power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericmar

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I have question on the connection in between of the AC power and a power supply. The AC-DC power supply comes with 5 pins, namely Live (L), Neutral (N), Frame Ground (FG), +V and -V. I do not know where should I connect the FG to. According to the spec, I am supposed to connect the FG terminal to the mounting set ground terminal. What do they mean by mounting set ground terminal? Or should I connect it to Earth?

The device I am using this power supply for has a metal frame. Should I connect its metal frame to the FG of the power supply?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Eric

FG and the frame of your device should be connected to EARTH ..

Regards,
IanP

ericmar

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
IanP said:
FG and the frame of your device should be connected to EARTH ..

Regards,
IanP
Thanks IanP. You always help me with my questions. :D

I think that the FG is connected to the case{or internally as general ground for the PS} of your Power supply unit and it should be connected to your device metal frame and also connected to the earth and so any excess charge in either PS or the device sink to the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.