Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

AC Current or Zero crossing measurement

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmookiebud

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to find a way to measure AC Line current and/or Current zero crossings. If anyone can help with pointers or circuits that would be great!

special transformers

There are special transformers called current transformers. They look like toroids where you put the wire whose current is to be measured through the hole and the pair of terminals on the side of the toroid have 1/N short circuit current as is in the through wire. You put this to your measuring circuit.

There are also special probes called clamp on current probe. These are made by Fluke and Tektronix.

Hi mrmookiebud, what is the Current max range? are you working on
a power meter? give us more details and we'll try to help you.

Tornado

Hi

You can use the current transformers with an LM311 to make a zero cross detector. Compare the output of the transformer with a zero reference on the other LM311 input.

Best Regards
Pendragon

I'm actually working on something that incorporates power measurement. Current can range from near 0 to 15 amps. The current transformer idea might work but was hoping to incorporate the components onto a PC board. I can probably do that with the transformer but I recall seeing somewhere the idea of using triacs. Problem is, I'm not that familiar with triacs. I am about to become more familiar but before going to far down the wrong path I thought I would seek some advice. Ideas are welcome :idea: :?:

This is a special IC that could do the job for you...
A zero crossing switch used a lot in TRIAC switching applications.
Hope this helps...

Grtz
Chrhuy.

**broken link removed**

**broken link removed**

I think I'm getting closer and thanks for the suggestions but I can't see how this helps for measuring current zeros. My TRIAC thoughts were to somehow determine current thru the device - again, I'm a TRIAC newby so this may/may not be possible.

Most likely this will work in your design. Use Motorola zero cross over optically isolated triac. I am not sure but MOC3041 and others are the IC numbers. They come in different voltage ratings and they are very cheap.

You can use a shunt resistor to measure the current and with the shunt you can use the analog devices chip ADE7753 by this IC you can measure the current and voltage.

Why waisting time? the professional way is to use a current transformer.
Using a copper trace on the PCB is wrong (temp drift) you have to compensate!!!!
Using a sense resistor is wrong (temp drift and power derating) you
have to compensate as well.

Current transformer and a opamp or LM311, LM393 comparators is
the solution.

Tornado

The cost for the current transformer is high than the cost of the shunt resistor. Also the resistance of the shunt is in the range of uohm and no problem found in using it.

Hi

HCPL 3700 could be a solution.You will find the datasheet at :

h**p://www.fairchildsemi.com/ds/HC/HCPL-3700.pdf

Status
Not open for further replies.