Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

about FPGA flow questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stocking

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Who can answer the questions?
1. FPGA flow , from ISE to ModelSim , then Synplify Pro .
2. the interface between ISE and ModelSim , Synplify Pro .
3. Simutating FPGA must use ModelSim XE version?
thanks!

ISE have to be used only for PaR - all others steps, like entering desing, functional and post-PaR simulation, synthesis can be done with others tools. Usually, these tools have third-party interface one to each other. I would recommend to start with ActiveHDL. It is very friendly for beginners, has very nice simulator and has third-party interface for most tools.

Hi stocking,
FPGA flow :
Design Entry --> Synthesis --> Translate --> Map --> P & R --> Fuse Device

In parallel u will be doing ur testing using simulation tools. (for behavioural design and final routed design)

Design entry: u can use HDL, IP cores, Schematics etc...
Synthesis and implementation : u can either use ISE or synplify etc

Once u have finished ur design entry, then u can simulate ur design using ModelSim. if ur behaviour is correct, then go for the synthesis and routing.
After routing u can again do the simulation for timing checks, Here u can use the Timing Analyzer tool from xilinx. if u have not met ur constraints, then go bck to ur design entry phase and do the modifications. finally once all ur constraints r met, then u can fuse ur FPGA

Firstly , thank you who answered my questions!

if I have used the primitive of FPGA device , I dont know how to add the library to the modelsim and Synplify pro!

For modelsim, if you are using xilinx then you will have to compile the unisims from the xilinx/vhdl/src folder into your work library, then say use library unims in your code ofcourse with the path to them updated in the midelsim.ini file.

hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.