Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

About CMOS opamp's offset

Status
Not open for further replies.

walker5678

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
cmos opamp offset

If there is an CMOS opamp, whose input differencial pair is matched well, and also the internal circuits are well matched. Then how much will the offset voltage be for the real fab-out device? Is 10mV the normal level? And is it dependent much on the process capability?
Thanks.

walker5678 said:
If there is an CMOS opamp, whose input differencial pair is matched well, and also the internal circuits are well matched. Then how much will the offset voltage be for the real fab-out device? Is 10mV the normal level? And is it dependent much on the process capability?
Thanks.

It depends on the area of the input dif. pair.

Vos +- Avt/sqrt(w*L)

If you have a large area in the dif. pair, your offset will be low.

The formula given is for one sigma vos. The total offset is usualy assumed to be 3 sigma (3 times that value).

Regards Bastos

walker5678

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
yes.
and there is another way to improve vos by reducing Vgs-Vth of the diff. pair.

It depends on the area of the input dif. pair.

Vos +- Avt/sqrt(w*L)

If you have a large area in the dif. pair, your offset will be low.

The formula given is for one sigma vos. The total offset is usualy assumed to be 3 sigma (3 times that value).

What 's the value of Avt? Where can i get it?

As i remember, some fab,such as TSMC, offer this process parameter.

Make ur open loop gain high will suppress input offset.

walker5678 said:
yes.
and there is another way to improve vos by reducing Vgs-Vth of the diff. pair.

hi, as i know, the offset of vth is 10mv or so in common conditions. i concerned if reduce the vgs-vth and make input pair saturate easy, but Delt(vth)/(vgs-vth) seems more sensitive and bring new 'offset'
it's my self option, i wonder the truth..Hah

In most processes Avt is 4-5mV/um. Is better for PMOS and worse for NMOS (PMOS has better matching).
E.g. two transistors with areas of 1 sq um will have an offset with sigma of 4-5mV, wich is 98-99% of the chips will be withing 12-15mV (3*sigma). If designed right of course.
This law does not scale with technology, and toghther with flicker noise and lower headroom is one of the largest obstacle in scaling down the analog design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back