Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a wireless device with strain gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.

beum

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
zigbee strain gage

hey guys,

i need help to settle my final year project..
this is a periodontal probe (measuring tooth gum) which utilizes strain gauge to standardize the force applied to patient's gum

my FYP's objective is to make it wireless (from the strain gauge attached to probe)

which wireless device out there is cheapest?
i heard of wireless strain gauge but how much is it?bluetooth better than that?

anyone can recommend some useful journals/websites about wireless and strain gauge? cos my findings is that most site require subscribe.

thank you very much for any help out there..

sincere wish from me to get advice from u all

thanks again

wireless strain gauge

It depends if it's big enough to hold a transmitter, if it will be inserted in place and the patient will close mouth, thus shieding the transmitter.

If a portion of the device remains outside, it's quite easy, use a small transmitter in UHF ISM band with batteries or a SoC that has ADC, programmed for the job. Also zigbee
may be an option.

If it will be inside, i would recomment a passive device with magnetic coupling / near field communication in the style of RFID - at 125kHz or 13.56MHz, using a ferrite core antenna. I observed that magnetic coupling can easily be used from the other side of a few centimeters of tissue and bones, like the palm of a hand.

strain gauge turn-key

I would use an ISM band transmitter/receiver pair at 915 MHz with FSK. That is a low enough frequency that data will still transmit out irregardless of if the probe is in your hand or in the patients mouth. It is high enough to get a good antenna that is not too large.

I would try to get the receiving antenna above waist-line, so that things like a big metal dentists chair, do not get in the way of the data link.

You might want it to have at least 4 frequency channels, in case of in-office interference.

grateful for the replies out there..

about the confusion there, actually the probe is about 15cm long and the strain gauge is placed 5cm from the tip of probe.

i'm actually weak at those application of those electronics things..have to study more about all suggestion by guys :D
thanks anyway

anyone can provide further info about transmitter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back