Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A Question about UPS / Inverter Transformers

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterleous

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
ups transformer

I have a question about UPS Transformers. I have seen so many UPS Circuits, and need to know about a question related to them.

In some UPS A Center tapped Transformer is used for inverting, in which center tapping is directly or indirectly connected with Battery +ve and other end terminals are connected through Transistors or MOSFETs to Battery –va.

In some designs, a normal two wire Transformer is used for inverting.

I want to know that what are the main differences in Advantages or disadvantages for both designs, as I want to know it for a new design. Which one best for Pure Sine wave and Modified Sine Wave UPS.

Thanks,
masterleous

ups transformers

Hello,
It depends on how powerfull you need your inverter to be, center tapped transformers give a lot more power if you are going beyond 500 watts and their schematic diagram circuits are of much less components than the ones without center tapping.

Making a pure sinewave inverter is a hell of a nightmare itself, so complicated, too many parts and you need sophisticated equipment to tune it up like "oscilloscope" and IF you suceed and everything goes well and in the future you have a problem it will take you one day to examine all the parts and fix it !

I suggest you go to a simple square wave design with center tapped transformer (the circuit itself has like 5 or 6 electronic parts "costs like 3$ only and works great) I actually have made one myself that lights all my house (2000 watts) and is running perfectly since 2 years.

I never built a "modified square wave" but from what i read i think it will perfom just like the simple square wave.

masterleous said:
I have a question about UPS Transformers. I have seen so many UPS Circuits, and need to know about a question related to them.

In some UPS A Center tapped Transformer is used for inverting, in which center tapping is directly or indirectly connected with Battery +ve and other end terminals are connected through Transistors or MOSFETs to Battery –va.

In some designs, a normal two wire Transformer is used for inverting.

I want to know that what are the main differences in Advantages or disadvantages for both designs, as I want to know it for a new design. Which one best for Pure Sine wave and Modified Sine Wave UPS.

Thanks,
masterleous

ups transformer design

Thanks nino220022 for your nice reply,

I actually have made one myself that lights all my house (2000 watts) and is running perfectly since 2 years.

What about the charging circuit for your betteries and the clock generation, did you used Microcontroller for your UPS for all safeties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back