Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

A newbie here.Can somebody please help me :roll:

Status
Not open for further replies.

kidiotb

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
eb40 uclinux

Hello everybody,

I m very much interested to get into the field of Embedded Systems.Can anybody please suggest me where to start, like a person suggested me to first go through C programming then Unix OS concepts then go for learning Microcontrollers(8051) then go for a RTOS concepts. But i m a bit confused.Can somebody please suggest me where to start what to learn first then learn what.... ,,then wat are the software resources i need to possess like Compilers,Simulators,etc.
I am familiar in programming in C,C++,Java,VB. and 8085 microprocessor.Any other basics I need to go through?

Thanks in advance
:)

P.S:: I m sorry if the post is in the wrong area.

Sure you do! Yu can start of learning 8051 then advanced to Atmel's 8951 it is simple but powerfull and cheap enough. The assembler is spread anywhere on the web. From 'C' like to pure assembler.
That's all folks! :D

What aspect of embedded systems programming are you interested in? high level gui and app? low level device driver? or lower yet, kernel and bootstrap programming?

there are plenty of things to learn and most of it is similar enough to a regular system (just less of everything) that it probably doesn't make much of a difference which platform you start from. If you are interested in jumping in and learning about some processors, there are some simulators out like SPIM that will make the learning process a lot more enjoyable.

Hi!
If you want C+UNIX+Embedded+RTOS+microcontroller, you gotta look to ARM. There are a lot off devices based on ARM. You be able to play with Linux on ARM processor. Checkout eCos website (**broken link removed**) . Also check uClinux (www.uclinux.org) - ARM ports also available. Buy ARM starter kit and play! I know, 8051 is good old architecture. But we live in 21 century...

u should try to get hold of linux and later on u can switch to RT linux for real time programming.

I think the first thing you must make sure is what's the real interest of you, hardware or software, for there are too much knowledge to study, too many things you can do

Don't get surprised to c lots of branches,be sure of which side u r interested and move along.

for my sake,with ur knowledge in c programming,try ucos-ii(RTOS)
u get it free and soft for beginers.others u can get once u r on the flow

I agree that with dizel that ARM is probably a good place to start. There are tons of free software at every single level.
RTOS: ecos/ucos/rtlinux
compiler: gcc/g++ supports that
there should be a simulator hooked to gdb as well.
of course, you can start from lower level, e.g. play with its assembly etc...

The hardware is used everywhere and you can pick up an okay evaluation board from Atmel for about US$200 (Atmel EB40A). Check Embedded System Design on a Shoestring" by Lewin Edwards if you need a step-by-step guide.

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0750676094?v=glance

I believe, u have sufficient knowledge to get started.

but beware of what microprocessor architecture is and how to handle stand alone applications. also, 1st thing u will need to have is a debugger tool for testing your program execution.

according to your back ground, "paradigm C++" is best option

u may vist www.embedded.com and www.tern.com

plz tell me if u find something good regarding embedded applications.

khurram bhatti

if u download a Embedded System Design on a Shoestring,you need a eb40 board!this book in this fourm somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back