Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

a creative way to make an automotive security kill switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

david90

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
plastic part plastic part

How can you make one that is secure? Kill switch security relies on the fact that it is hidden but what if I don't want it to be hidden.

I'm thinking of using at90s2313 to make some sort of keypad but the problem is the same. If it is not hidden, the thieves can just manually reconnect the point where the relay two wires together.

automotive keypad security

This switch has to be hidden. If you can't hide it there is no point of having it ..

I have seen quite clever and in the same time very simple system where a reed switch was placed behind a plastic part.
When a rare-earth magnet (extremely strong and very small in size) was placed on top of this plastic part the read switch was activated and it switched on a relay which was lokated somewhere inside that vehicle.

Regards,
IanP

automobile security switch

I wanted to make something a bit more flashy like a keypad or a combination switch. Maybe to increase security I can place the relay somewhere hard to get to .

Why not just have a flashy keypad type thing in view, then use the hidden reed relay to actually disable the kill system... :)

Re: a creative way to make an automotive security kill switc

Hi,

You'll be surprised at how many security systems have a flashy keypad, with a million combinations but just have two wires going to the 'hidden relay'. Including some car imobilisers. Anyone with a screwdriver could break in, its like putting a $10000 security system on a shed door :D

I'm no expert, but just have two micros. One reads the keypad (inside the external keypad module) and gets the users code, then encrypts it (simple look-up table) and send it via RS232 to a micro next to the 'hidden relay'. The micro at the relay, reads in the data, decrypts (LUT again) and if the code is correct, activates/deactivates the relay.

That way, 'crossing/cutting' wires won't do anything, except tell the relay micro that something is wrong (starts a tamper alarm). And you could have a '3 strikes and out' thing with the codes. It beautifully simple, and pretty secure. Unless a 'theif' happens to be carrying a laptop, microcontroller reader, disassembler, and have hours to get access to the pins on the relay micro - Are theives this good?

You probably won't even need encryption, but I've just been reading up on it :D

Anyway, sorry if this is a bit 'left-field' but I did this as a project when I first started with micro's.

Good luck,

BuriedCode.

I agree with buriedcode, no matter how fanciful the keypad,aka FUI-Fanciful User Interface is, all it takes is just an average guy with a screwdriver to break into the 'costly, flashy system secured' car.

For "flasher" , fun loving hobbyist out there, you could integrate a "bio-metric"( Fingerprint indentification system) into your automotive alarm project.

A few suggestions to prevent easy crippling of your impressive system:
-Using a 4k7 termination, similar to some home security system
-Using some "dummy bunch of cables running between your devices.
-Using of hidden reed switch(can be hidden anywhere in your dashboard etc) in series with your intended security system.

Any multi-million security system can be made useless without the correct integration and implementation.

HI,

I'm interested in fingerprint identification method.... can you suggest me any device to do it in a simple way?

thanks a lot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back