Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

9V battery down then up converter to 5V

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEd

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
9v to 5v converter

I have kept my eyes open for a switch converter for a long time but haven't found a suitable one yet! Does anyone have any tips?
I'm looking for an efficient switcher that works as a down converter from 9V to 5V and as the battery gets below 5V it acts as an up converter to suck out everything of the battery.

If it has a built in circuitry to charge a 9V NiHm/NiCd battery as well then it would be perfect. Anyone seen a solution on that?

Eddie

9v battery to 5v

I am not sure but I can remember that the IC 78S40 can do it down to 2.5V battery voltage.

convert 9v to 5v

Hi,

What you are looking for is called a SEPIC converter.

Try National.com 's website they have a chip called LM3478 and LM3488 which you can use.. I know there are more vendors making chip you can use but nationals are easy to order.

Philips also makes a chip that you can use, it uses a switching freq of 600 Khz making its small and efficient.

Try also Linear.com...

regards,

Paul.

bring down voltage 9v battery

Usually a NiCd and Foam NiHm cell shouldn't be discharge to less than 1 V/cell.
I.e. for a 8.4V battery with 7 cells the minimum voltage is 7 V

A Sinter NiMH cell can self discharge to 0 volt, but if you can draw any current from it, I don't know.

Otherwise you are going to reduce the useful life of the battery

how to convert 9 v to 5v

there are many Ldo to meet your requirement. ( such as TI, microchip)

Status
Not open for further replies.