Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

8x8 LED matrix using the smallest number of pins of my 8051

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmad2005

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'd like to create a 8x8 LED matrix using the smallest number of pins of my 8051. It'd be great to use two shift registers, one for rows and one for columns but it doesn't seem possible because according to my understanding shift registers can only source current, they cannot sink current.

How is this possible? I'm open to alternative solutions as long as the pin count stays as low as possible

Note: One of my friend request me to post this message here.

Last edited by a moderator:

according to my understanding shift registers can only source current, they cannot sink current.

Who told you that? Take a look at the 74HC595 datasheet:

www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/74HC_HCT595.pdf

You'll see on page 6 that the maximum output current is +/-35mA - so, it can source or sink 35mA.

The problem will be when you have more than one LED on and the 35mA is exceeded on the shift register that is connected to a full row of LEDs. You'll need to buffer it with transistors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back