Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 8051 development board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vasanth Ravi

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I am having 8051 development board from nsk electronics
microcontroller:p89v51rd2 softare:flash magic

I am using usb isp to connect the microcontroller to my laptop but when i click the start in flash magic it says attempting to connect but later shows unable to transmit /receive.I have changed the comport and baud rate nothing worked.pls help me .:cry:

Which version of flash magic you are using ???

i am using 5.94.2515 version of flash magic.

try comport 1 or 2. you have a usb isp pcb with this board. which micro-controller is present there?

Use latest version :- version 6.31
here is the link :- **broken link removed**

i am using p89v51rd2 microcontroller.

- - - Updated - - -

Use latest version :- version 6.31
here is the link :- http://ge.tt/8rkxddF/v/0?c

the above link only has 5.94 version not the latest one.

I think you are using -

**broken link removed**

As I know NSK itself gives the tool for programming the 8051 through the CD.....If your kit is not working I will suggest you to go to him and tell him to give you demo with his CD on your laptop with that it will be easy and you will get the answer there itself.... for the price that you paid.....However the flashmagic that I have mainly I used for ARM controller however there is 8051 core programming is also.

here is link for philips based flash magic -

http://www.flashmagictool.com/
http://sites.google.com/site/mleesrobotronics/home/tutorials/flashing-a-mc-using-philips-flash-magic

good luck

i installed the latest version but the problem is the same as in the image Capture.JPG

Open Device Manager in Windows 7 and check what virtual COM port is assigned to this device.

Best regards,
Peter

To
milind.a.kulkarni, hello sir the problem is the port is not shown in the device manager in win 7 how to insert the port?

Hi Vasanth Ravi,

Peter is right........ you need to device driver installed on the machine for your Board and I mostly think that the 8051 board that u are using uses FTDI usb to serial chip..... Check the chip name on your board which is connected after USB port...... so u need to use appropriate driver for it..... As Peter said movement you installed the driver it will get reflected in the Virtual Comport of Device manger of your PC.... and also you will get an option of that Comport Number available in FlashMagic too.... and of course Peter is my friend as well as one of the most knowledgeable contributor / expert on forum .... basically I like his reviews very much......ask any pointed question if you have.....

good luck

Hi Vasanth Ravi,

Peter is right........ you need to device driver installed on the machine for your Board and I mostly think that the 8051 board that u are using uses FTDI usb to serial chip..... Check the chip name on your board which is connected after USB port...... so u need to use appropriate driver for it..... As Peter said movement you installed the driver it will get reflected in the Virtual Comport of Device manger of your PC.... and also you will get an option of that Comport Number available in FlashMagic too.... and of course Peter is my friend as well as one of the most knowledgeable contributor / expert on forum .... basically I like his reviews very much......ask any pointed question if you have.....
good luck

when i tried to install the driver i got the following error and if u know anyother links to download device driver software pls post here thanks
Capture.JPG

IMAG_0399.jpg

I had seen the picture that you are uploaded ...... it appears that u have silicon image 8051 board driver is installed on your machine.....second is the programmer that u are using is i think is avrdude programmer..... be careful with chip that u are using and driver that u r installed ..... do one thing put the proper picture ( mostly top view) of board that you have and the programmer that u are using such that we can figure it out what is the problem......as per I understand u r using two different things ....

good luck

I had seen the picture that you are uploaded ...... it appears that u have silicon image 8051 board driver is installed on your machine.....second is the programmer that u are using is i think is avrdude programmer..... be careful with chip that u are using and driver that u r installed ..... do one thing put the proper picture ( mostly top view) of board that you have and the programmer that u are using such that we can figure it out what is the problem......as per I understand u r using two different things ....

good luck

hi , here is the pic of the topview the chip on the programmer is atmega8l usb isp programmer IMAG_0404.jpg

when i tried to install the driver i got the following error and if u know anyother links to download device driver software pls post here thanks
View attachment 96610

View attachment 96612

Its Silicon Lab CP210 IC. Driver can be downloaded from here:

**broken link removed**

hi , here is the pic of the topview the chip on the programmer is atmega8l usb isp programmer View attachment 96614

What is relation between 8051 development board and ATMega8L USB ISP programmer ?

Best regards,
Peter

Hi Vasanth Ravi,

Peter's point is right..... You are using a development boards of 8051 and avr programmer .....I am not sure both are hardware wise compatible or not ...... Even in case u replace the 8051 chip with at mega avr chip..... First of all understand one thing that it is not recommended to use programmer of one family and development board of other family at the initial stage of your design and development.... My point in line with what Peter said is 8051 and avr are two different micro-controller families..... So be clear what u want to use? .......second point the combination of development board and programmer that you are using with 8051 chip will most probably will not work.

Peter would you like to add any more thing?

With regards,

Milind

sir may i know what is the actual purpose of the programmer(usb-isp)?

Ok first of all you need to understand couple of things -

1) Every Micro-controller comes with some kind of processor / core architecture like 8051 Micro-controller used Harvard architecture or AVR and PIC micro-controller uses Modified Harvard architecture or advance micro-controller uses ARM architecture etc..... Even they can be classified on CISC(Complex instruction set computing) and RISC (Reduced instruction set computing) based on the kind and type of instruction set is used.
2) Based on the processor core , memory arrangement , internal interfaces provided to write and read the data in the memory ( Program memory where the program are stored)..... the programming methodology changes.... and the consequent of it these interfaces need to be exposed out using pin of the hardware and method of writing the data (program) to the chip ( programming the chip)...... Of course most of the micro-controller can be programmed using program.hex file but the way the program.hex file is generated and send in the Flash ( memory where the program is stored in the Micro-controller ) differs based on the type and core of micro-controller and many more factors like compilers used for compiling the code and linker / assemblers used to generate the compiled code in the machine language code that will the understood by the family of micro-controller which is intended to be used .
3) the Programmer provide the mechanism to program the Micro-controller i.e. the hardware specification and method of programming for selected device family like PIC or AVR or 8051 is understood and another hardware is made and bunched to together with the programming software running on personal computers. The device driver that so far we are talking are specified for that particular hardware ( programmer) which need to be install on your machine to communicate to programmer through the programming software ( in the above posts it was FlashMagic ). However you need different programming software for AVR micro-controller.

This what the reason both me and Peter was saying you are connected with two different families i.e. AVR programmer ( atmega8L ) and 8051 based development board ( mostly with 8051 chip) ..... this combination will most probably not work..... you need to do the following thing either use 8051 development board with 8051 programmer or use AVR development board with AVR programmer.... Also you need to install the device driver software comes with your programmer on your personal computer such that through the programming software you can program the chip. Now to remove your bit more confusion - there are two different type of programmer and development board comes.

First type of programmer comes with a Zip lock socket where you can place / insert your PDIP ( like 8051 40 pin chip ) in the programmer and program it using programming software like FlashMagic Now such programmed chip can be placed in the development board where you have facility to place the chip ( board with zip lock socket) like board that you have shown in picture

second type of programmer comes with a connector which have hardware specific connection for programming the chip that you have (like what you are uploaded programmer picture of atmega8L avr programmer)....such programmer are used to development board which have similar matching connector which have same device family.

I hope this will clear your some of the doubts.... One of thing that I will recommend you the read about micro-controller and Processor Core from wiki or some thing like that.....

Good Luck

@Peter - Please correct if I said some thing wrong.... I was just trying to answer the Vasanth's question with best of my knowledge and ability ?

with regards,

Milind

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back