Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

7651 Programmable DC Source inaccurate voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

deJong

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello Electronic Enthusiasts!

My old DC source giving me troubles. Used to be very accurate in producing output voltages for Sense (Hi and Low) and Out (Hi and Low).
Here are the pictures. The source is programmable, and outputs and are exact anymore. The lower voltage you want, the higher you see the difference from Out and Sense.

5V.jpg
10V.jpg
20V.jpg
30V.jpg

I tried to troubleshoot and find the problem but I think my knowledge in this is not good enough. Please help...

Normally the sense and the out put terminals are connected internally with a 100* ohm resistor.This is so for low currents, no sense wire connection need be used as the volt drop down the wires would be very low.
If someone connected the external kit to the sense terminal without a good connection to the main output, this 100* ohm resistor can get overloaded. if its , say 1M ohm, the current taken by the sense amplifier will cause an increased volt drop across this resistor, so the amplifier cranks up the main output voltage to compensate.
* Other values are available :)
Frank

Last edited:

is this what you are talking about?
modes.png

I checked and traced back the output and found this relays directly connected to its output. I also measured the one you mentioned, Out and Sense high reads open while Out and Sense low reads around 34Mohms. Please check this block diagram. I don't have the schematic.
block diagram.jpg

The diagrams are not correct. if you look at the first one, showing links between the output terminals and the sense line. If that link was open circuited, the voltage sense would say low output and wind up the output voltage to maximum. Which is clearly dangerous to external electronics. So that link is shunted by my "100" ohms resistors permanently.
Frank

So which one is bad? Out and Sense High reads open or Out and Sense Low reads around 39Mohms?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back