Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

74HC139 (2-to-4 line decoder/demultiplexer) but for analog?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michcfr

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I would like to use the 74HC139 dual 2-to-4 line decoder/demultiplexer but for use in analog similar to the 75HC4051.
Do you know such a circuit?

Regards,
Michel

Hi,

there are many.
Just go to the distributor if your choice an do a search for "analog mux" ... or similar...

Klaus

The 4051 takes 3 bits (decimal 0-7), and activates 1 of 8 outputs.

Do you wish to split operation across two decoders?

I guess your truth table means that input value of 0 to 3 turns on decoder #1 only? That's the easy part.

And Input value 4 to 7 turns on decoder #2? So it functions as though it receives input value 0 to 3? That requires extra circuitry.

yes I need to split operation across two decoders: two independant decoders taking each 2 bits and activate 1 of 4 outputs
Any idea/example of the extra circuitry?

thx

if i understood the question, try MC14052BDG from ON Semiconductor

Thank you but it does not work. I need independant dual channels that is not the case of the xxxx4052
What I need is like two independant 74HC4051 (but of 4 channel instead of 8)

This what you want one diff chan in routed to 1 of 4 diff chan out ?

This is a processor part, lots of other resources left for use internal, see window on right.
But just this requires no code. Single chip.

PSOC Dual 4 Chan Diff Mux.PNG

Regards, Dana.

yes I need to split operation across two decoders: two independant decoders taking each 2 bits and activate 1 of 4 outputs
Any idea/example of the extra circuitry?

thx

Bit 3 makes the difference. It changes to 1 when the input is 4-7.

Therefore I think you can use bit 3 to Enable one decoder and Disable the other. Run it through an invert-gate for one of them, before feeding it to its Enable pin.

Apply the other bits to both decoders as normal. This should cause lines 5 6 7 8 to operate correctly.

Of course the above method assumes that a disabled decoder turns off all outputs.

Bit 3 makes the difference. It changes to 1 when the input is 4-7.

Therefore I think you can use bit 3 to Enable one decoder and Disable the other. Run it through an invert-gate for one of them, before feeding it to its Enable pin.

Apply the other bits to both decoders as normal. This should cause lines 5 6 7 8 to operate correctly.

Of course the above method assumes that a disabled decoder turns off all outputs.

Thank you BradtheRad
But your solution uses two 4051, right?
I need a single circuit to do the job to save space on my PCB

This what you want one diff chan in routed to 1 of 4 diff chan out ?

This is a processor part, lots of other resources left for use internal, see window on right.
But just this requires no code. Single chip.

View attachment 162254

Regards, Dana.
thank you Dana
I just want two independant analog decoder in a single package

That is a single chip solution. The schematic I showed shows a lot of symbols
wired together, but thats all on one chip. The right hand window shows only a
small amount of the chips resources were used, in case you need also stuff like
A/D, Vref, OpAmps, Comparators, DAC, Digital (Timers, Counters, LUT, Gates, Shift Register,....

The component catalog window, second from right, is a catalog of all components
for the chip chosen. In PSOC language a component is an onchip resource, in this
case there is a lot of components in this chip.

Note it also has an ARM core in it. but you dont have to use that. You can do designs
that require you write no code to those that do.

The chip used in the example I did is PSOC 5LP. The tool, PSOC Creator, is free, board
for dev work is $ 10.

Regards, Dana.

Last edited:

What is the analog signal range voltages you want into the demux ?

What does the rest of the design do ?

Regards, Dana.

Hi,

how does your input signal looks like i.e. amplitude, DC biasing, frequency, sinked/sourced current?

greets

Hi,

how does your input signal looks like i.e. amplitude, DC biasing, frequency, sinked/sourced current?

greets

Hello,
Thank you for your interest
I want to use the decoder for general purpose analg and digital I/O: read ADC from MQ-135 like sensors, activate relay, LEDs....

Hello,
Thank you for your interest
I want to use the decoder for general purpose analg and digital I/O: read ADC from MQ-135 like sensors, activate relay, LEDs....

The PSOC also has the A/D, the reference, ARM processor, demux both analog and digital.....

All the stuff on this part see attached catalog of part resources.

Regards, Dana.

Attachments

• Component List (2).pdf
    183 KB · Views: 108

The PSOC also has the A/D, the reference, ARM processor, demux both analog and digital.....

All the stuff on this part see attached catalog of part resources.

Regards, Dana.
thank you for your response
I already have a microcontroler, what I need is a simple decoder circuit. thx

Ok, so it seems a single supply multiplexer with a "low" bandwidth should be fine. For LED applications keep the continous switched current in mind. Use the manufacturers product filter function to make a choice e.g. [1] for 2 x (4:1) .

[1] https://www.analog.com/en/parametricsearch/12830#/p4683=(4:1) x 2&d=4263|4683|546|4264|4270|2606|4458|4814|4811|s3|s5
Thank you
Do not work: all the 14 models of type 2 x (4:1) have two digital select inputs (S0 and S1) that are COMMON to both switches. I need the switch to be independant.

Status
Not open for further replies.