Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Questions about simulating spiral inductor in HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

myem

Full Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
spiral inductor by HFSS

When I simulate spiral inductor by HFSS ,
I have some questions listed as below.

1.how can I get its inductance and Q value in HFSS environment ?
2.which solution type should I select
Driven Modal,Driven Terminal or Eigenmode ?
3.Because I am trying the 'Air structure' effect, so I want to combine two different air structure heights then combine them in one rectangular plot.How can I combine them ?

THX

Re: spiral inductor by HFSS

Hi, I tried this kind of simulations before in HFSS and IE3D.

I think you should use lump port or differential wave port in HFSS, and than use the "Driven Modal", get the S-parameter or Z-parameter. The image part of Z11 is the reactance, and the real part is the resistance. Then L=Im(Z11)/(2*pi*f), and use the series LR model to get the Q.

However, my previous simulations shows that the inductance simulation is quite similar between HFSS and IE3D. But the resistance is quite different. I am not quite sure why, but I think if the frequency is not very high, you can just use ohmic-law to determine the R (R=conductivity*L/S).

Hi Guys,

I have been designing a circular spiral inductor.
Can someone suggest a tutorial, example file or tell me how to feed the circular spiral?

thanks,
Kirthika

Hi Kirthiinu,

Did you find nay HFSS tutorial on circular spiral inductor?

I need to simulate octagonal spiral inductor in HFSS and having trouble modelling it.

Waiting for your reply

Hemanshu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back