Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

60GHz integrated amplifier design S22 problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

magpal

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm designing an integrated amplifier for wireless communication at 57-64 GHz with a SiGe BiCMOS process (but only using bipolar npn transistors). The tools used are Cadence Virtuoso with Spectre for simulation. I have no experience designing high frequency electronics.

With a cascode (CE-CB) topology the simulated output reflection coefficient S22 have an extremely low resistance and very high reactance, in the Smith chart it's placed to the far right. See attachments "CECB_schematic" and "CECB_nomatch" for the schematic and the simulated s-parameters respectively. The transistors in the simulated circuit are small; multiplier m=1, number of emitters Nx=1, emitter length le=0.48um (can only be 0.48u and 0.84u).

This means that when impedance matching the output, the Q-factor is terrible as seen in the attached "CECB_Lmatch". A simple L-network was used, but attempts with T- and pi-networks hasn't shown any improvement. I regard the initial S22 as "unmatchable" for a reasonable Q and I imagine there is a step in the design procedure before impedance matching that I'm missing.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to fix this? I'm guessing biasing, multiplier, emitter lengths etc., but I've seen no improvement in my attempts to vary these parameters. Any help will be much obliged.

I also attached "CECB_DCsweep_nomatch" where the bias voltage of the input transistor is swept for an unmatched circuit.

Thanks.

CECB_schematic.pngCECB_nomatch.pngCECB_Lmatch.pngCECB_DCsweep_nomatch.png

Your S11 is also too bad..
But your circuit has no impedance matching network ? How it will be improved ??
Check the intrinsic input and output impedances of the CasCode only first then apply proper matching networks to match to source and load.

Thank you for your reply!

The previously added image "CECB_Lmatch" shows the simulation results of the matched circuit. I didn't add the schematic with matching networks because the S-parameters of the unmatched circuit are so close to the perimeter of the Smith chart that no matching network will provide a descent bandwidth (57-64 GHz). Correct me if I'm wrong! See the constant Q contours of the Smith chart here: https://ece.k-state.edu/crl/Images/fig2.gif

The schematic with matching networks:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back