Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V voltage limiter for an FPGA board

Status
Not open for further replies.

urousseau

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I'm designing a FPGA Board with a +5V to +15V DC input specification. To be clear, we're using 5V and 12V wallplug with the same DC jack connector
From this input, I'm using DC/DC converter and LDO to create 1.1V, 1.5V, 1.8V, 2.5V and 3.3V.
But there is an issue regarding the onboard 5V generation: I'm expecting a way to limite the voltage power to 5V when using a 12V ACDC wallplug and to bypass it without any dropout when using 5V ACDC wallplug.
Can you help me?

5 volt limiter

Some LDO have an input capability of 20V and a few 100 mV droput only (e. g. LT1963 from Linear), they could be used as an easy and fully protected solution.

voltage limiter 5v

Is it possible to use 2 LDO in // to get 3A output?

volt limiter 5v

You probably get an unequal and unstable current distribution, usually series resistors at the output are recommended when paralleling voltage regulators.

How about a LT1764 3A regulator? But the thermal handling capacity may be a problem.

For minimum power dissipation, a buck-converter with an additional controlled shunt switch would be probably a better solution. Unfortunately, most integrated buck-converters have a duty-cycle limitation due to MOSFET boost circuit at about 90 % on-time.

Status
Not open for further replies.