Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

5V LDO on 5V input voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

kristaps_r

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys.

I have situation where mu circuit is used with power sources usually rated at 5V. They give out something like 5.2V. But there are also 6V regulators that people want to use.
I have ICs that handle 3.6V - 5.5V. They also work on 6V but I want to make some protection to be correct with voltages.

So question is:
Can I use 5V LDO for protecting ICs?
How will work LDO regulation if input voltage will be 5V?
Will output voltage drop to something like 4.8V that is OK for ICs and everything will be OK or working in Dropout is not OK and I have to use 4V LDO by example?

Regards,
Kristaps

Thanks.
Still thinking is there any changes in operation when using LDO in dropout state. Maybe less current ...
I am thinking to use MIC5205-4.0YM5 not to operate in dropout, but I used internal reference for ADC 4.096V :( I think it will be OK to use stabilised 4V.

Dont worry IC will nicely work on 5V, in datasheet you can check that probably 5,5V is maximum working voltage, and absolute maximum voltage is 6-6,5-7V.

Status
Not open for further replies.