Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4046 PLL - how to obtain good noise rejection and stability

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugen_E

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
4046 pll

I'm using the 4046 PLL with type 2 phase comparator (I need full VCO range lock)
with external VCO, at about 100kHz.
To make a stable PLL i use the classical lead-lag filter with 2 resistors and 1 cap with enough damping.

The question is how I can attenuate enough the pulses from the phase detector that reach the VCO input ? If I damp enough the loop for stability, the filter attenuation would be too low.

Can I use another RC filter after the lead-lag filter, with pole frequency much higher than that of the lead-lag?
The lead-lag pole is at 100Hz, and I added an RC LPF with a pole at 3kHz, but to my surprise the loop can't lock in this case and the frequency fluctuates around the correct value.

pll 4046

Your fase shift is to big that is why it won't lock. On Internet you can find a program from Philips about the 4046 that allows you to calculate the components of the filter with best performance and hence lock range stability and suppression of frequency. I still must have it on a floppy if I find I will post.

Link to the program on internet: hxxp://www.elektroda.net/download/file849.html

Eugen_E

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
4046 circuits

Thanks for the quick reply.
I downloaded the program and i think it's perfect. I'm using an external LC VCO at 27-31MHz (for 0<Vin<5V) and a divider N=256.
Please correct me if i'm wrong regarding parameters i entered to the program:
- VCO input voltage range = 2.5V (it should be 5V since 0<Vin<5V ? );
- VCO center frequency = 29MHz;
- 2fR = 4MHz (i think it's the full VCO range).

74HC4046 it's powered at 5V.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back