Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4046 FSK demodulation / loop filter design

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh-eda

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi
I would really appreciate it if someone could help me. (Sort out some confusion :))
I am intending to use the 74hc4046 to demodulate a FSK signal. The carrier centre frequency is around 165Khz and the deviation is around +/-2.5%. So I am using a frequency offset. (I am not using any frequency divider). The max signal frequency is around 4.8kHz baud, though it is more likely to 300baud eventually.
The problem I am having is understanding which phase comparator to use, the loop filter design i.e (The choice of zeta and settling time).
I have opted for PC2 at the moment, and a simple passive filter using a two resistor and cap. (R3/R4 and C2 from the datasheets).
I have been through the datasheets and the application notes.
In one of the datasheet it states that a "With a passive low-pass filter, the “4046A” forms a second-order loop PLL. So for a 2nd order low pass filter I think I should be using a zeta of 2. I have tried designing with these and the results component values don't look correct.

But it is my understanding that a passive filter will only be first order? If so I would choose a zeta of 0.7, from one of the graphs in the datasheet.
I wonder if someone could clarify this? Is this because of phase type of phase comparator adding a delay.
Some of information in the application sheets etc I have seen seems to agree (I will try to find this information again)

Thanks

sh-eda,

I am not sure if this answers one of your questions: Are you aware that signals of the PLL transfer function are not voltages but the PHASE?
That means: The VCO acting as an integrator regarding the phase and, thus, contributes the order n=1 to the overall transfer function.
That means: With a first-order loop filter the PLL order is n=2.

ok its sort of what I thought, yes it answers my question.
I've had a bit more time to play with the circuit now.
I'm trying to sort out which of phase comparator to use.
I'm getting the idea to use phase 1 which is just an xor, as it apparently less susceptible to noise which is important in my application,
The problem is I get a signal when the input frequency goes out of range. (i.e Below 1v or above the 4v on the VCO control pin), which doesn't happen using the phase comp 2.
I am wondering if there is a better way or way to get around this?
The only way I can this of is to increase the frequency range, but that would reduce the amount of signal I get out.

Status
Not open for further replies.