Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

4*4 keypad and micro controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahul95

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

i m doing my first electronic project using pic16f877a and keypad and lcd.my code works well.(when i press a button , that key will display on lcd) but i still dont understand how pic understand which key is pressed. is there interrupts involved with that procedure. ( in my code lcd at portB and and keypad at portd)

thanks

i don't know the pic microcontroller
but i think that the logic behind it will be same as avr.
the main logic is that microcontroller use 4keys as input and other 4 keys as output.
it continuously scan the input port
which ever key will be pressed it will detact 1 at that input pin as all column pins are connected to vcc.
simple

if you find it helpfull then please press the helpful symbol below it

The ports feed as input to the pic, the pic will test for all ports at high rate, normally a keypad will be 4 or 5 inputs, the pic uses the code btfss/btfsc depending on your configuration.... it basically works like a switch.

for detecting, the keypad uses the technique of rows and columns.

dear all
for interfacing 4*4 keypad with avr microcontroller we required 8 pins of microcontroller.
can anybody tell me that is there any way to connect it using 2 or 3 pins (like as serial comm.)?

dear all
for interfacing 4*4 keypad with avr microcontroller we required 8 pins of microcontroller.
can anybody tell me that is there any way to connect it using 2 or 3 pins (like as serial comm.)?

search google for EDE1144 Keypad Encoder IC

Status
Not open for further replies.