Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC analysis in Cadence

Status
Not open for further replies.

elbadry

Full Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
When doing DC-analysis in cadence (IC5033) and printing the dc operating points, I find that some of the given capacitance values are negative. What does this mean?

and where can I find the description of the too many capacitances given by the dc-analysis?

thanks in advance

from the EDA window choose results --> print --> then choose the transistor u want

Best regards

elbadry

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Which model do you use ?? DC analysis may give some capacitance values depending on bias but these should not be negative..
If so, the is a problem of modelling.

In additional to, first versions of 5.033 may have some bugs that computes some parameters of a active device. Because evolution period of 5.033 isn't finished.

I am using (Austria-micro-systems) 0.35um BiCMOS design Kit...Could the problem be in their models? If so, is their a way out?

elbadry said:
I am using (Austria-micro-systems) 0.35um BiCMOS design Kit...Could the problem be in their models? If so, is their a way out?

If a capacitance value is negative, it means that is an inductance !! It's so weird...??

In additional to, some design kits need some corrective verilog scripts ( for instance, for Bf there may be Gauss equation that creates a possibility variations etc..) Cadence interprets first them and then computes the equations.

I think the your design kit has some bugs...

One last point :Some parameters which start with C could not be a capacitor, they might be an internal variables...

BigBoss said:
One last point :Some parameters which start with C could not be a capacitor, they might be an internal variables...

Could you please give more details? How can i know if these are Caps or not?
Thanks for help

"Capacitance value is negative",maybe your model is not correct!

Yes, huojinsi is right. Your model is not correct!

not dc you should use ac to get cap

the models are corect.I've seen these negative cap values in several design kits.

I think is the initial problem.

BSIM3v3 models show negative cap values over the operating range. The default setup of CDS only show CGS, CDS, CDG ... . The negative caps are only seen in result text file which show more details.

i think getting the negative capacitance is because of the direction of the current and the variation of q.that causes the negative sign in derivetive equation.

This post was from 2005...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back