Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

camera interface with FPGA

Status
Not open for further replies.

emerson_11

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am doing a project in image processing. I want to interface digital camera to xilinx virtex board and to display the video in a PC display. Can anyone guide me how to start this work and what are the steps for this work?

First of all, it's important to understand what are the control signals that are required to be generated using virtex FPGA to control the detector chip readout.

Which digital camera are you planning to interface, is it CCD or CMOS detector as that will decide whether you will directly get digital output from the detector chip itself or a separate ADC is required to be interfaced between camera and FPGA.

Next comes the i/o standards to be chosen in the FPGA to interface it with the camera or the ADC.

For displaying the processed image in the PC, you can develop program either in MATLAB or LABview to interface FPGA board with the PC.

Do you know any HDL?

yes i can develop verilog code

- - - Updated - - -

if it is a digital camera, can you guide me any camera to link it with my xilinx virtex 5 board?

the OV7670 is a cheap and simple CMOS camera but depending on framerate, resolution there are others.

Since you are sending the data to a PC you don't need to buffer the entire frame in the FPGA, that makes it easier. How do you plan to send the data to the PC?

Last edited:

I am sorry. I meant video display as PC. I am gonna read video from camera through FPGA and i want to display it through PC monitor .

I am sorry. I meant video display as PC. I am gonna read video from camera through FPGA and i want to display it through PC monitor .
What type of output interface does the camera have?

As you suggested i referred OV7670 camera but many papers have used it with arduino board. Can I interface it with FPGA? what type of output interface does it provides?

V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back