Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[Moved]: PCB trace calculator needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DNA2683

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi

im looking for a good and reliable calculator for PCB trace width (depending on current)

any suggestions ?

TNX

based on what criteria? temperature rise for outside track inside thermally insulated to FR4?
Lots out there. But for big jobs like Stovetop heater Relays, OEM thruhole busbars and crosshashed solderblobs are often done.

Then designers forget to reinforce large parts with polyurethane to prevent solder annular ring break in solder joints and boards fail within years even in benign home and office environments. This can also happen when holes are too large and looks under a microscope like a crystalline annular ring between pin and hole connected to a large trace carrying large currents. ( i.e. intermettent open connection) Oxidation ends up opening the solder joint with an insulation oxide in a solder joint that otherwise looked flawless when new. Just a heads up... from a stove top board and MAC CRT monitored , I once repaired with large traces and big parts.

MOST PSU's you will find use this on big parts to hold them from vibrations.

Last edited:

hi

thanks for your quick replay.

temperature rise for outside track inside thermally insulated to FR4 should be good.

i tried saturan calculator and some web sites but each one of them give me different result for the same inputs.

TNX

Use the latest Saturn PCB tool, it uses current standards - many other calculators give different results because they use outdated information.
Or use a calculator and do it manually.

Me - I'd rather use the PCB Toolkit.

Reactions: d123

d123

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

The first one is out of date as it is not based on IPC-2152, the rest are not current calculators!!!
Use Saturn as stated by the HDMI Kid (Mattylad, where is my cable?)

- - - Updated - - -

hi

temperature rise for outside track inside thermally insulated to FR4 should be good.

TNX

Er care to explain how you can have an outside track inside thermally insulated FR4, I would suspect that some laws of physics here may have to be re-written!:smile:

I do loads of boards with high current, if I have the layers I run them all as planar bus bars on multiple layers, I choose a temp rise of 10 deg above ambient so I have more safety margin and where possible use a trace width 25-50% larger than specified, larger if possible or use multiple layers. I also like to use inner layers for high voltages as it helps reduce clearance distances....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back