Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3000w sine wave inverter charger

Status
Not open for further replies.

larrylwill

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a Motor home with a 3000w continuis sine wave converter. It was running off 2 100amp batteries in parallel. One battery shorted, I disconnected it and charged it. Then the charger portion started cutting off early and letting the good battery discharge. Now the inverter wont even come on, no panel display dispite 12.43v battery hooked up. I can not find any fuses, burnt spots or burnt transistors, in fact the inside looks pristine. Any Ideas where to start?

One battery shorted,

Did this leave the battery totally discharged? That sort of accident is likely to shorten the battery's useful life, even if allowed to happen just once. The battery may become unable to take a charge or hold a charge.

Or, there's another kind of short circuit which has lead plates touching (assuming your batteries are lead-acid type). Extreme current generates heat in the plates, which may cause them to warp and make contact. You lose voltage (2.2V) in the cell where plates are touching. It may not be possible to straighten them.

Either type of condition makes the battery cause problems in your system. Its volt level tends to remain sub-normal, thus it discharges your good battery.

Do you have a voltmeter? Hygrometer? Can you explain more details?

One battery always draws max current on charging. The other is ok. Its charged up and holding a charge. It really doesnt matter, Im replacing them with Lipo4 220amps. The existing batteries are AGM. Its the inverter I really dont want to replace. I dont have a schematic, Normally when you hook 12v up to the 12v input it turns on, now it wont.

A hundred amp hour battery ( I assume that's what you mean ) can supply 100A for about 30 mins ( unless it's Li-ion )

2 x 12V = 24V @ 100A = 2400 watts for half an hour, closer to 1 hour if Li-ion

If you let either type go flat - they go high resistance and will not function very well ever again, sounds like you need a 2 x 12V charging setup to avoid batt imbalance on charging, leading to these ( rather common ) types of failures ...

Sorry you have the wrong Idea. I had 200 amps of AGM batteries, one blew my inverter Im trying to fix it before having to buy a new one. I also have ordered a 280 Amp lithium battery to replace the AGM batteries. 2 different projects.

Hi,

Are you talking about 100A or 100Ah batteries?
A --> means current
Ah --> means charge
Two completely different units.

Klaus

Wow unbeleible, I ask for help on fixing an inverter/charger and I get a lesson on battery termonology. Spell check anyone.
Amp hour of course and CCA has nothing to do with deep cell agm storage. Forget it. Wrong fourm I guess.

Hi,

Yes, sorry, our fault that we can not mind read whether you mean current or charge.

There are different people in this (and other) forum. Some write A when they mean A and write Ah when they mean Ah.
Others mix them. We need to find out whether they really mean "A" or "Ah"... since both is possible.
There are people who mix the units by accident or typo. There are people who don´t know the difference.
We don´t know unless we ask.

There are people asking their questions in a forum and try to learn. There are people without mistakes, no need to keep on correct terminology. The one will benefit for their life, the others will always have a hard life by meeting "ignorant" people.
It´s your choice how you want to live your life.

Asking the identical question in a different forum ...are you sure you don´t get similar replies?

Klaus

your english leaves a lot to be desired, it appears what you were trying to say was " my inverter briefly shorted out the battery " but what you said was the battery was (completely) shorted,

then you ask for advice without any photo's or other helpful information.... D'oh .... we don't have a xtal ball ...

Status
Not open for further replies.