Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

3 phase AC motor control help

Status
Not open for further replies.

nimeshasilva

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all..

Is there any other way to control the speed of a 3-phase AC induction motor (ACIM) other than using an inverter? I mean, for example, a method such as, 3, single phase TRIAC control circuits combined together or something?

ON semiconductor had released a good app note (AND8011-D) regarding the single phase AC phase control, and the circuit is working like a charm. Now I need to combine 3 of them and control a small 3 phase ACIM. is it possible to do that? I think its worth asking before try.

Thank you

This picture is just basic example using of triac :
ONSAR2478_1_Fig1-web.jpg

Example:
Motor controllers

3 Phase AC Motor Speed Control | Circuit Diagram

Attachments

• Speed Control of 3-Phase Induction Motor Using PIC18...pdf
    294.7 KB · Views: 157
Last edited:

The single phase motor control is working by reducing the effective voltage to the motor, so the motor slows down. The problem is that the current will rise and the motor is effectively de-rated. A three phase motor works by the three phases setting up a rotating magnetic field which the rotor is trying to catch up with, lowering the voltages causes the same problem.
Frank

Thanx guys for the replies.
It seems its a ridiculous idea to speed control of a 3 phase motor using triacs. I'm giving it up.

Now I need to study more on Variable Frequency Drives instead..

Status
Not open for further replies.