Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transmission gate vs NAND based D flip flop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

allanvv

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In Baker's book he introduces an edge triggered D flip-flop using transmission gates:

Asjwl.png

**broken link removed**

However I can't find much information about the advantages and disadvantages of this design compared to the regular NAND implementation. I noticed from simulations that the tgate version worked at higher frequencies and used less power. Does the tgate version have more propagation delay or something? Or maybe I just sized the NAND version wrong (just used the same drive strengths for every gate).

edit: Sorry, should have specified that my question is in the context of designing standard cells

Last edited:

Hello Dear allanvv
As i understood from your circuit , it is a flip flop that based on nand gates . and it's advantage is , that , the nand gate is popular and base gate , that with that you can make all of the digital systems ( the base gates are : nand nore xnor).
I hope that i understood , your mean correctly.
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

The transfer gate design implements a master-slave FF. There are other ways to implement it with bipolar logic that doesn't provide transfer gates, but the MS point is essential for an edge triggered FF.

If I understand right, the below gate construct isn't an edge triggered FF at all, in so far it simply can't be compared with the above one.

I added a clarification that my question is in the context of designing standard cells (ie. transistor level)

Ok, I showed the wrong NAND-based version of a master-slave flip flop. I mean to compare the transmission gate version to the standard version I've seen often in textbooks on digital design (not cell design):

lkEoE.jpg

I notice, that the circuit shown in post #1 corresponds to the classical 7474, if you omit the asynchronous control signals. In so far it's a good representative, although not exactly functionally equivalent to the TG design. And I was apparently wrong by claiming it's not edge triggered. It actually is, although the structure is less clear than the TG design.

I think, the answer is a pure technology matter. All bipolar FFs are using the gate structure, all CMOS FFs the lower transistor count TG design.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back