Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

230v to 48v converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudarshann

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi Friends,
My question is very simple.

Input : 230V 50 Hz AC (India)

Output : 48V 5A

Please help me how can I do the above. I expect a usage of Solid State Devices for conversion. I have no idea where can start.

I am aware of commercial solutions but i need to design it for my project.

Thanks in Advance

Use a transformer to step down the 230VAC to 48V. Then use basic AC-DC circuit (diodes/capacitors). Just a thought...you can improve on the basics for your design.

Hi
I am not looking for a transformer based solution. I need a power electronics based solution.
any way thanks for a quick reply

Start by studying a good book on switchmode power supplies.

There are many good books, I particularly like Switching Power Supply Design, by A. Pressman, McGraw-Hill.
For your power level you must likely be using a Forward Converter Topology.

You have not mentioned whether you require power factor correction. If that is the case, the book above also describes it, but the app notes found in the Texas Instrument's website are your best bet.

Transformerless with a resistive-capacitive divider are good for a power output of a couple of watts at most.
The original poster on the other hand, requires 48 X 5 = 240 watt.

'Power Supply Cookbook' by Marty Brown is a good book to get started with...

Status
Not open for further replies.