Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

220VAC to +5VDC converter / regulator chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

howie

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am searching for a 220VAC to +5VDC converter / regulator chipset.

Can someone suggest of other chip that provides the the given conversion. I've seen one from MAXIM (MAX610, 611, 612), it is a chipset that directly converts 110/220VAC to a regulated +5VDC (or even variable 0 to 17VDC) but I still need other options.

Can someone help me regarding this. I will also appreciate other opinions on how to directly convert 220VAc to 5VDC or even 12VDC without using a step down transformer.

Thanks.

using transformer (220 AC to 9 AC)+diode brigde+electrolytic capacitor+liner legulator(L7805)

Or need scheme?m? :)

Or make with IR213 buck converter :)

pcwortex said:
using transformer (220 AC to 9 AC)+diode brigde+electrolytic capacitor+liner legulator(L7805)

Or need scheme?m? :)

Or make with IR213 buck converter :)

I appreciate your suggestion, but I need an alternative 'chipset' that has 220VAC as an input and a 5VDC for output just like MAX611 by MAXIM, it already contains a bridge rectifier, a voltage detector and "series" of regulators to step-down the converted 220VDC by the rectifier circuit. These are all included in a 9.91mm by 8.26mm SO or DI packages.

hmmmm, but using similar chipset, which contains ac to dc regulators, you give least current. it is about 100 mA. maybe, you want to use this shipset to led.

pcwortex said:
hmmmm, but using similar chipset, which contains ac to dc regulators, you give least current. it is about 100 mA. maybe, you want to use this shipset to led.

Yes, exactly, having a 5VDC output with 10mA / 50mA is fine because I will use it as input logic level to a uP.

check out this .. and one more IC is their i am not getting that at present if i found i will send you..

Kripton2035 said:
I can't see this max 610 on maxim web site...
is it too new or obsolete part ???
regards,

I do not know if its obsolete but still there are lots of distributors of the said component. I also emailed MAXIM's sales dept to inquire regarding the component's availability.

Anyway, if you are interested of it, I'll keep you posted regarding their reply.

howie said:
Kripton2035 said:
I can't see this max 610 on maxim web site...
is it too new or obsolete part ???
regards,

I do not know if its obsolete but still there are lots of distributors of the said component. I also emailed MAXIM's sales dept to inquire regarding the component's availability.

Anyway, if you are interested of it, I'll keep you posted regarding their reply.

Below is the reply from MAXIM IC regarding the MAX610's availability:

> Hello,
>
>
> This part was never full introduced it was killed. The last time we
> shipped any material was 2005.
>
> We can not longer manufacture this part.
>
>
>
>
> Regards,
> Jennifer
> Maxim Direct Sales- JF
> Maxim Integrated Products: Innovation Delivered (tm)
> *Maxim's Terms & Conditions Apply to all Purchase Orders:
> **broken link removed**
> *Lead-Free/RoHS information can be found at:
> *Lead-Free/RoHS Notice and Ordering Information:

all the components sellers I search dont have this max610 in stock... they ask for a quote... so this chip seems to be obsolete ...
even on ebay no chip ...
sorry it seemed to be a nice chip for this usage !

Hi all,

In real life, all uP I see with that kind of power supply connected directly to the power line, have problems. Its always recomended to place a 1:1 transformer before, but if we use a transformer I beleive it is better to do a "traditional" power supply.

HH NeuralC

neuralc said:
Hi all,

In real life, all uP I see with that kind of power supply connected directly to the power line, have problems. Its always recomended to place a 1:1 transformer before, but if we use a transformer I beleive it is better to do a "traditional" power supply.

HH NeuralC

Supposedly, I would be hooking up the converter chipset into series of control panels (for flood control process), each panel consists of at least 32 AC lamp indicators (indicating each step/processes). The lamp indicator activates for every process that will be achieved, but the problem is all of lamp indicators are AC controlled (220VAC). So I need to convert 220VAC into +5VDC and have it connected into a digital input device for remote monitoring through Ethernet.

Would it be impractical if I would install a transformer for each lamp indicators considering the cost and bulk of devices installed? Right?

Do you have any suggestion on how to solve this problem?

Please refer to the figure attached for more understanding.

Regards.

What you need is a HCPL3700, see application note:

Note: there are multiple supliers, including fairchild

HH

NeuralC

howie

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
neuralc said:
What you need is a HCPL3700, see application note: for trchild

HH

NeuralC

Thanks 'neuralc', your suggestion would be a great help in solving the problem. I have partly read the datasheets and it really fits the situation I asked. But I have some question regarding the function of HCPL-3700:

1. The datasheet indicated (from the reference schematic) a 115VAC input, would it be possible to input 220VAC? Can the chip manage it?

2. The supplied voltage (Vcc), would the output voltage depend on it? Let say Vcc (pin 8) = +5VDC, would the output at pin 6 (Vout) be also +5VDC-unregulated?

Regards.
Howie

howie said:
neuralc said:
What you need is a HCPL3700, see application note: for trchild

HH

NeuralC

Thanks 'neuralc', your suggestion would be a great help in solving the problem. I have partly read the datasheets and it really fits the situation I asked. But I have some question regarding the function of HCPL-3700:

1. The datasheet indicated (from the reference schematic) a 115VAC input, would it be possible to input 220VAC? Can the chip manage it?

2. The supplied voltage (Vcc), would the output voltage depend on it? Let say Vcc (pin 8) = +5VDC, would the output at pin 6 (Vout) be also +5VDC-unregulated?

Regards.
Howie

1. see fig. 4 of the aplication note its stated that 220VAC are supported, you should calculate the resistors to use acording the AN.

2. note in the AN that you need an PIA (such MC6821) that will garantee the 5vdc

HH Neuralc

Hi there

can any1 help me in building a cheap ac to dc power supply?reli appreciate

i need a power supply, 230VAC to 5VDC...any body can give me a schematic diagram or simulation on multism wud b great.
im elecronics beginner so not reli gud in electronics
Regards
Arshan

Status
Not open for further replies.