Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[20 pts] [urgent ] Boolean equation simplification

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdvaRes

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi all,
In my design the datapath delay let me use only frequencies below 1 Ghz.
The logic of the datapath is given by the relation shown in the figure. I need to simplify this relation as possible in order to reduce the delay introduced by the datapath so I can rise in frequency.

Is the relation provided simplifiable ?

treehugger said:

Thanks.
Unfortunately your reply is wrong. In fact when a=1 my relation gives b+/bc your relation gives c+b.

I think: c+ab

your minterms are {1,3,5,6,7} you can K-map it or Quine mcCluskey you get the simplified form above.

Resulting into:

1 AND
1 OR

your concern when a = 1; your orig equation becomes b+/bc is actually equal to b + c when you take the minterms.

A quick check for the orig and simplified form if they are the same is plug in all possible values of a, b and c; you will get the same result;

if you want to implement it via NAND or NOR gates, you may not get a simplified form.

Thanks,

AdvaRes

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Thanks my friend.

I found by K-Map that you're right !

Have you materials abouts Quine mcCluskey technique ?

Only using Nands seems quicker since an AND normally is an NAND and an invertor.

/(/C*/(AB))

so NAND[inv(C),NAND(A,B)]

AdvaRes

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
drDOC said:
Only using Nands seems quicker since an AND normally is an NAND and an invertor.

/(/C*/(AB))

so NAND[inv(C),NAND(A,B)]

Nice idea ! Using Nand and NOR introduce less delay.

4 All :

I gave you each 7 points. Many thanks.

Hello AdvaRes:

Here's a link to Quine McCluskey https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quine_McCluskey

It is usually useful if you have more than 4 inputs of your combinatorial logic circuit. Since your app is just 3- inputs, K-map method should be fine.

The link also has some links of automated (software) for Quine McCluskey which makes life easier. :-D

Draw a Karnaugh map and the result is:

ab+c

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back