Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2 IC's in arduino leonardo IC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Niki0602

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello All,

Was looking at arduino leonardo schematic and found there's two atmel IC's in schematic and the layout too, I searched in arduino documentation but couldnt find any info on it,, what are these IC's. Looking forward for yur answers.
Thankue :roll:

There is only one ATMEGA32U4 chip on Leonardo board. I have that board. ATMEGA32U$ had USB on chip and hence the second ATMega chip and FT232RL is not needed.

there are 2 IC's in the schematics of reference design given by arduino leonardo. please check it out n if yu can help,

See here e.g.
The two processors are really two different footprints for the same one. If you open it in Eagle and look at the board, you can see an alternative, smaller wiring right below the main processor. That is probably in case they cannot re-stock the chip they use at the moment. It is the same chip, just packaged differently.

Sorry, I can't help with the Schematic. I have seen that Schematic. I have Leonardo board and Leonardo board is the only Arduino board which has a single IC. In other boards there are two microcontrollers and a FT232RQ. The only chip on Leonardo is ATMEGA32U4 which has built in USB. See the pin mappings at the arduino.cc for Leonardo board. You will see that there is only one chip on board.

Status
Not open for further replies.