Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

2.4 GHz wireless audio link 1 KM range

Status
Not open for further replies.

vigyanabikshu

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to make 2.4 GHz mono wireless audio link having 1 KM range. I think NRF2460 will be fine for me, but the range is less than 100 Mtrs. Can I use some RF amplifier ICs like RF2126 to increase the range to 1KM?

Much easier way is to use a directional antenna on both sides. For 1 lm range I would suggest to use a parabolic antenna, e.g. a satellite TV dish. Commercial antennas are also available, with a gain up to >20 dB.
Two such antennas add >40 dB to your link, much easier than adding the transmitter power.

Much easier way is to use a directional antenna on both sides. For 1 lm range I would suggest to use a parabolic antenna, e.g. a satellite TV dish. Commercial antennas are also available, with a gain up to >20 dB.
Two such antennas add >40 dB to your link, much easier than adding the transmitter power.

Thanks for your good suggestion. But I want to implement it in schools, colleges etc, so that every class room, I have to put receiver and each may be located far.A single Transmitter and more than 25 Receivers around.

I don't believe that Indian telecommunication regulations permit increased transmitter power required for 1 km range in the 2.4 GHz band.

It should be also noted that most applicable standards for small radio devices are field-strength respectively e.i.r.p. related. Using a directional antenna would enforce a reduction of transmitter power to keep the limit values of these standards.

I don't believe that Indian telecommunication regulations permit increased transmitter power required for 1 km range in the 2.4 GHz band.

It should be also noted that most applicable standards for small radio devices are field-strength respectively e.i.r.p. related. Using a directional antenna would enforce a reduction of transmitter power to keep the limit values of these standards.

Mostly in and around the schools, people are concerned of irradiating children by a higher RF power at >1 GHz. Technically there may be multipath problems, too.
If your task is to distribute an audio signal, I would suggest to use a low-power FM transmitter at 88-108 MHz band. Such designs are widely used, require ~1W to cover > 1 km square area, and pose no danger. Low-cost FM receivers can be used.
Or, use a cable-distributed system, like describe in the thread "Photodiode noise reduction" elsewhere on Edaboard.

Mostly in and around the schools, people are concerned of irradiating children by a higher RF power at >1 GHz. Technically there may be multipath problems, too.
If your task is to distribute an audio signal, I would suggest to use a low-power FM transmitter at 88-108 MHz band. Such designs are widely used, require ~1W to cover > 1 km square area, and pose no danger. Low-cost FM receivers can be used.
Or, use a cable-distributed system, like describe in the thread "Photodiode noise reduction" elsewhere on Edaboard.

There are a lot of devices available in Indian market like XBee modules having range from 100mtr to 10,000mtrs! working in 2.4GHz without any problem. I have used many XBee 1KM modules. So I did not believe there will be some legal problems in ISM band 2.4GHz. In my case the device will broadcast only few seconds every hour. Actually the deivice is a voice enabled bell ringing system used for bell ringing and for some short announcement only.

I have tried the FM transmission, but I want high quality digital transmission not only audio signals but also control signals like volume controling, speaker addressing etc here. I have also tried powerline audio also, but due to some reasons it is not good to use in commercial products.

The path loss equation is well known and there is a tradeoff with the Signal Bandwidth, SNR and BER.

In case you forgot or are just learning, for 1Km distance the IDEAL path loss neglecting moisture loss and fading loss ( deadspots from multipath cancellation)

f (MHz) 1km 100m Path Loss (dB)
10 ...... 53 ... 33
100 .... 73 ... 53
1000 .. 93 ... 73

A 30 dB boost in power from 1W means 1kW is required assuming all else equal. But as we know as f increases, fading losses and weather, trees, ground reflections etc.. become more problematic so you need at least 10dB of margin.

Status
Not open for further replies.