Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] 18F4550 bootloader problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi !
i attach a CCD Demo from MCHPFSUSB v2.2 USB Framework compiled and tested on mai board with 18f4550.
Please burn a "USB Device - CDC - Basic Demo - C18 - PICDEM FSUSB.hex"!

The attached CDC example also is not working

Hi,
Sorry but I have other ideas!
try to change 18F4550!
the hex attached work on mai board with 20mhz.

I think , chip is ok , i am using microburn to burn the hex files , microburn shows an error when i burn , they have given fix exe , we can burn the file after fix , i too following that way , i think that may cause the problem

....when connected to USB , message shows , usb device not recognized and shows unknown device in device manager....

After rereading your discussion thread, I noticed you stated that the when you plugged the USB cable into the PC you receive "unknown device" from the device manager.

Have you check the device driver's INF file to ensure the VID and PID in the INF file match the VID and PID in the PIC's code?

If they do not match, the PIC's USB interface will be classified as "unknown device" and the driver will not load.

To modify the VID/PID in one of the example USB firmware projects, open the usbdsc.c file (found in the ‘autofiles’ folder of the project). Search for the terms “Vendor ID” and “Product ID”. They should appear in the table used for the USB Device Descriptor. Change both values as needed.

To modify the VID/PID in the .INF file, open the relevant INF file and search for the “[DeviceList]” sections. There are two sections, one for 32-bit and one for 64-bit, both sections should be identical. In these sections, some text will appear with the form “USB\VID_xxxx&PID_yyyy”. Update the “xxxx” and “yyyy” sections with the new hexadecimal format VID/PID values.

Also what OS are you running on your PC? Some drivers have issues with Vista and Windows 7 and may need to be installed manually.

BigDog

Reactions: varunme

varunme

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
from usbdiscriptor.c

ROM USB_DEVICE_DESCRIPTOR device_dsc=
{
0x12, // Size of this descriptor in bytes
USB_DESCRIPTOR_DEVICE, // DEVICE descriptor type
0x0200, // USB Spec Release Number in BCD format
CDC_DEVICE, // Class Code
0x00, // Subclass code
0x00, // Protocol code
USB_EP0_BUFF_SIZE, // Max packet size for EP0, see usb_config.h
0x4D8, // Vendor ID
0x000A, // Product ID: CDC RS-232 Emulation Demo
0x0001, // Device release number in BCD format
0x01, // Manufacturer string index
0x02, // Product string index
0x00, // Device serial number string index
0x01 // Number of possible configurations
};

and from inf file

[SourceDisksFiles]
[SourceDisksNames]
[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_04D8&PID_000A

[DeviceList.NTamd64]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall, USB\VID_04D8&PID_000A

show both are same

Interesting.

The mchpusb.inf currently on my system:

[DeviceList]
%DESCRIPTION%=DriverInstall,USB\VID_04D8&PID_000B, USB\VID_04D8&PID_000C

When you connect the USB cable with your PC and the alert of "Unknown Device" is displayed, where in the device manager is the device listed?

What info does the device properties list?

Have you tried manually updating the driver?

BigDog

Device manager gives nothing about drivers
Its listed as Unknown device
I tried manually updating driver , but cant , says not found a better driver than present in your system

hi!
but on Details on hardware ID what is it?
USB\vid.....??

1.png
2.png

When you connect the USB cable with your PC and the alert of "Unknown Device" is displayed, where in the device manager is the device listed?
BigDog

It is listed in Lower portion
Universal serial bus controllers

---------- Post added at 05:26 ---------- Previous post was at 05:23 ----------

PID_0000 and VID_0000 issue [SOLVED]

What info does the device properties list?

The information you just posted was what I was referring to in my previous reply?

I'm vacillating between hardware or driver issue.

How are you making your connection from PIC to USB? Breakout board, pigtailed USB cable, etc?

Also what are you actually using for the power source, wall wart, bench top, home brew?

BigDog

yes
PIC to usb using
**broken link removed**
Power source is a 12V old wireless telephone adaptor from panasonic

Your close. There is obviously something which is preventing the enumeration from occurring correctly.

Your PIC seems to be functioning correctly. So, it's most likely a faulting capacitor, connection or power supply.

Do you have another wall wart or power supply that you can swap out?

You seem to be getting an oscillator signal from the crystal, but if it is not oscillating at 20MHz that could be an issue as well.

BigDog

Reactions: varunme

varunme

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
I tried with another wall wart , result was same
can be a faulty fuse setting in microburn ?

Excat 5V is coming from VR,
The marking of VUSB cap is 0.1 , should I use a heigher value and what does the 0.1 denote ?

bigguru , its difficult to get 470nF cap here , i got two 220nF caps , is it ok ?

---------- Post added at 08:58 ---------- Previous post was at 07:56 ----------

After adding two 220nF caps in parallel too , its not working

Here is the fuses available in my programmer software ,
untitledp.png
Here the difference from what I am used is
i used 20MHZ
and LVP disable ,
Kindly suggest me correction if there is in my fuse configurations.
btw , how can I disable the fuse to be controlled by the flashing software and the ones in hex to be loaded ?

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.