Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

18F4520 Tranmsitter and Reciever Question .

Status
Not open for further replies.

deeplearns

Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Can we use the Reciever pin for USART recieve communication and use the transmitter pin as general i/o ..I wich to use the Transmitter pin as an input .

Hi,

Doubt it as both pins appear to be allocated to the Usart function - however it should be easy enough to try ot the idea ...

I think you can do this. Many compilers allow the programmer to define which pin to used for TX/RX for the UART. You can use this option.

Like wp100 says, the pins are not allocated only for UART and hence can be used independently. But I have read somewhere that using other pins than the ones specified in the manual has some performance issues.
But I haven't seen the performance impact personally though. I think it is just some worst case issue. which you can ignore.

Yes it is possible if u are using ASM coding... The TXEN bit (already set as 0) will help... The pin will act as transmitter only if this bit is set... so if you dont want to transmit disable this bit... i referred ASM only because some compilers like mikroC has separate predefined function for USART which may behave weird sometimes ....

Status
Not open for further replies.