Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

130nm to 65nm design question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mischivis

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
If I take an opamp design from 130nm to 65nm but keep the same W/L's for
everthing, will my open loop gain increase or decrease? I guess what
I am asking is for a simple op amp stage where the open loop gain is
gm*ro (for the sake of arguement), what will happen to gm and ro going
from 130nm to 65nm if I keep the W/L's the same?

Hello

Difficult question to answer. It is not that straight-forward.
What I know from my experience:
Going down through technology nodes has several advantages, such as less parasitic capacitance, better gm performances, better output impedances... Tendency is that performances of the circuits are better.
I am afraid you cannot draw a clear conclusion. The key is simulation.
You need to resimulate all the circuits you are transferring to 65nm node. By then you will be able to tell what has changed.

Cheers
Christian

Change technology allows to improve circuit performance, but when technology parameters are changed a circuit should be recalculated. In my experience I have to adjust sizing for some circuit designs when I change technology. In the other hand, if operating point is different at the new circuit, its performance could be better or worse. Thus is not easy to determine the new performance. You should simulate new circuit and verify its operation.

Reactions: rbh

rbh

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
In fact, it depends on technology. Why not to have a simulation?

Avoiding redesign the circuit and also minimize the layout change, (in other word only circuit tweaking), personally I prefer to tweak the size of the current bias transisitor.

It might be useful if you can generate two sets of gmId lookup charts for both technologies so that you can have rough idea how much the transistor perfomance is changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back