Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12V power supply with over-voltage protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bulgaa

Newbie level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I need to make 12V power supply with over-voltage protection. but not using 2N1595, anyone can give me schema with components. i really need it

Starting from where? 110V AC, 230V AC, 0.001V DC and how much current does it have to supply, micro-amps or mega-amps? At what point does the over-voltage circuit cut in?

You need to give far more information to get a sensible answer. What on Earth is a 2N1595, I'll go look for it but it isn't a transistor I've ever come across before.

Brian.

Hmmm..... A Thyristor, so why would you want to use one in the first place.

Last edited:

I assume you're talking about regulating an AC signal. I'll also assume that you want to regulate the peak to peak voltage of the AC signal. The easiest way to do this would be to use two zener diodes tied together in series, with the connection also tied to the center tap of the transformer. This will prevent the voltages from swinging either too positive or negative. If the over voltage is due to a DC offset, you can either use a filter cap or a clamper diode. I hope that helps.

Hi,

@ brian,
I think it's an SCR used in a crowbar circuit.

@ bulgaa,
I think you need a 12V DC PSU with an over-voltage protection at the output state, so that in case of circuit fault, the output does not rise above 12v.
You can do this in a few ways:
1) If you want to use a crowbar, then, replace the thyristor with another of equivalent power.
2) Use an active crowbar:

78_1278480935.jpg

98_1277451560.jpg

https://www.edaboard.com/threads/181493/

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Reactions: bulgaa

bulgaa

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
    V

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status