Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Help making my own Mosquito

Status
Not open for further replies.

RFI

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
mosquito tone generator

Hi,

I am a complete electronics newb, but am trying to build an electronic device called a Mosquito. For those unfamiliar with the device it is an electronic device which emits high-frequency sounds, similar to the buzz of a mosquito which can be used as a safety and security tool for preventing anti-social behaviour such as gang loitering which can often lead to graffiti, vandalism, as well as violence etc. It basically claims to keep teens from hanging around in the area of the device. There are no laws against using such a device in my area or any area, that I am aware of.

I want to build my own Mosquito like device for cheap. I have tone generator software and a tweeter capable of handling the proper frequencies and I think I'll need an amplifier of some kind to boost the signal a little. I basically want to hook the tweeter to my pc and hang the tweeter up outside my house where a large gang of teens often hang out and cause trouble. I've tried every other option to get rid of them to no avail, so this is my last resort to attempt to peacefully, and within the bounds of the law, to get them to leave the area.

I'm just looking for tips or areas I may be missing in its construction. Does it sound like I have everything covered? Thanks very much for any assistance.

how work high voltage mosquito killer pdf

A simple loud hailer (amplifier with only one transistor normally 2n3055)

The circuit can be used to amplify the signal.

Goodluck

Nandhu

5-khz 9-khz mosquito

If you are not familiar with electronics components and assembling of electronic circuits, a good choice is to use simple car amplifiers (12 V power supplied) to drive your tweeter to high levels. A simple 50W amplifier will be enough.

To generate the signal (if you can build some electronic circuits) instead of a more expensive computer, a simple 555 IC astable multivibrator does the job (ask to any technician to build it, it will cost less than USD 5).

electronic device for mosquito away using ic 555

Tweeters are used for music, not continuous sound.
They are extremely fragile and have a very low continuous max power rating.
High frequencies in music are momentary so the average power in a tweeter is low.

I have heard about devices that produce very loud sound with a frequency that is so high that adults cannot hear them. Many people are worried that the hearing of innocent babies and young children will be harmed.

amplifiers12v

I have heard that certain stores play classical music which drives away lower class loiters. Such people have a high probability of being violent people.

how to make a mosquito sound generator

Thanks for the replies. I was thinking of using a tweeter (at least I think it's a tweeter) that is normally used in a smoke detector. I don't see where I'd have a problem with that. I've heard of smoke detectors going off for hours without problems. Also it's easier to conceal. ;)

mosquito guitar amp

Tweeter is high frequency speaker, used for reproduction of music.

In smoke detector you can have two kinds of piezo sounders, one with built in driving electronics and other without. If you apply DC voltage across it's terminals (9V battery) with corect polarity if indicated on it's case, one with built in electronics will make loud sound and one without electronics will create just crackling noise, just as it would if you do the same thing to normal speaker.

Piezo sounders have relatively narrow bandwidth, meaning they will operate properly only at, or very close to frequency they are designed for. So one that you take from fire alarm should be used for same frequency as fire alarm sounds alarm.
Good thing is that they are very efficient at their resonant frequency, so with small power source and small dimensions it can be extremly loud. If you use audio transformer to raise voltage very limit they can be unbearable. In order to get results you seek, you would need several of such units that are designed for higher frequency. You could experiment by changing frequency arround desired frequency to find peak of acustical level produced.

You can read some information on how piezo sounders work here:

**broken link removed**

Note that for using piezo with high driving voltage (with transformer) will shorten life of sounder, so you should have some spares handy.

how to produce my own mp3 player

I think when a piezo sounder breaks from too much level the it is dead quiet.

use computer to produce mosquito alarm

Ok thanks for info about the smoke detector piezo Sinisa. I was also considering using a tweeter like this one:
originally when I thought of this project. Maybe I'll go back to using a couple of them instead of the smoke detector piezo because these tweeters may be a better option and aren't a fixed frequency.

And by the way, I wasn't planning on making this device to blast away at anyone and try to make them go deaf. Like the Mosquito website describes, their product is designed to be just above the ambient background noise levels in the area. It's only meant to be an annoying sound to get the teens to leave the area and hang out somewhere else. It was never meant to be something that can harm anyone by bombarding them with super loud sounds. I won't be building my device any different.

gt-1005 frequency response

The cheap piezo tweeter is used in cheap guitar speakers. Its response is all over the place, some frequencies are loud and other frequencies are quiet. I call it a whistle. Here is its smoothed response:

Attachments

• piezo_tweeter_1754.png
    piezo_tweeter_1754.png
    134.6 KB · Views: 436

build mosquito sound generator

Audioguru said:
I think when a piezo sounder breaks from too much level the it is dead quiet.

Ceramics can withstand much higher voltages that ones that cause failure. Main cause of failure is wire connected at metalized surface falling off. One can apply very high voltage and get piezo to work at levels that are not intended for, but with much reduced life.
As a kid I was playing with overdriving watch and simillar piezo sounders, neighbours loved my enthusiasm for electronics. :D

generate mosquito tone

Thanks for the info Audioguru.

I think what I may end up doing is contact a company that specializes in making ultra high frequency tweeter/piezo like devices used for driving out mice and controlling dogs etc and have them build me a custom tweeter/piezo that will work at the proper frequency. I think they should be able to handle it. It can't cost more than the $1400 US dollar price tag for the original Mosquito! Then I can still build my device for a halfway decent price. That is if I can't find a cheaper tweeter/piezo to do the job.

Also if anyone interested in looking at the original Mosquito products you can find info about them here. http://www.mosquitogroup.com/index.html

what sound does a mosquito make

$1400US??? That is crazy.
Maybe when it has all the options like cell-phone activation and GPS tracking.

I bet it drives away good teenagers and young women too. The manufacturer doesn't say a word about babies and young children.

They say is should be activated by a qualified person only when needed. It has a timer to turn it off in 20 minutes. Maybe it doesn't last long.

mosquito noise adults cannot hear download mp3

$1400 is really a funny price, but apparently it is possible to sell a considerable number of devices at this amount. As far as I know, the hardware actually is similar to a piezo tweeter and an almost simple modulated tone generator.

Although I admit, that there may be situations where a device like the Mosquito could be desirable, I regard it problematical from legal and health aspects. The manufacturer is distributing expert opinions about the device's harmless nature, but there are very general and simple legal rules that contradict unnecessary noise production, I guess in most civilized countries even if it would be medical harmless (which hasn't be proven to my opinion). Also general anti-discrimination law basically forbids selective impeding a group of people. So I think there's a good chance that usage of the device could be banned in many countries - as far as common ground is affected in any way. For similar reasons I won't help in cloning the device.

mosquito resonance frequency

Why bother posting anything at all FvM, if all your going to say is I don't like what your doing and I don't want to help you? I'm not doing anything illegal. The device is not banned, nor could it be in my country. But then it really doesn't matter that much, I already know how to build what I want and it's just a matter of time till it's complete, with or without your assistance. Have a nice day.

sound amplifier mosquito

Perhaps use an MP3 player with the mosquito.mp3 that is available on the web, then have the player, psu & amp in a modified floodlight fitting (like the commercial ones do) and have a trigger line to turn it all on/off.

I have found that I can do this using just an ordinary portable CD/Radio and it was enough to annoy the heck out of my own kids so it worked on the neighbours.

Putting it through a 50w guitar amp did not work though :D

It does not have to be really loud, just annoying.

Shifting frequencies of approx 18khz, not always on constantly, perhaps in bursts.

It only has to be enough to be annoying then they will wander further out of the area. OR they will find it & knock it off.

If they knock on your door complaining about it you can truthfully say "But I cannot hear anything" lol

GO FOR IT RFI !!!!

german + electronics +mosquito

Thanks for the tips Cyberrat. I was actually considering using an mp3 player, but I figure my pc is so close the the window anyway that I can just hook up my device right to my pc. That way I can adjust things, if need be, quite easily.

You could also use tone generator software and export as an mp3, then load that onto a mp3 player as well. That way you can decide the exact frequencies to use as well as its duration.

But I like that idea to use an mp3 player because it's so nice and portable. Can be hidden very well being so small too. :twisted:

what tone drives mosquitoes crazy

Simple way for masquito repeler is that you build simple
mutivibrtating oscilator with two bipolar NPN transistors
wich oscilate on 5 kHz.And for output use simple piezo buzzer
or small headphones.

tweeter anti-mosquito schematics

its the output frequency that counts, not the sound volume.amplifier what???:|

crackling noise smoke detector

Some lowlife teenagers cannot hear high frequencies.
Most high power tweeters cannot produce high frequencies.

Never mind playing high pitched beeps, use classical music to drive away the lowlife fools.

Reactions: FvM

FvM

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back