120 Sectorial Antenna - Microstrip Stacked Patch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luciano_Inatel

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
How I can obtain 120 degree of coverage using microstrip stacked patch?

I think that i can use phased array, but when i use this my cross polarization level increase and i can't control my vertical pattern.

I use amplitude tappers to control my vertical sidelobes, i use 8 stacked patches for 14.6 dBi of gain, i need cross polarization level > -20 dB and front to back ratio >26 dB .

Help!

obs: I achieve 120 degree of coverage using dipoles with a big reflector

Freq: 5.72-5.85 Ghz

Thanks

Your comment about 120 degree coverage and 14 dBi of gain leads me to believe that you are trying to steer a beam with a multi-element array rather than finding a single element with 120 degree field of view.

What is your array feed structure? Patch arrays often suffer cross-pol degradation from feed radiation.

Is this a linear or planar array? Are you trying to steer in two dimensions? It is usually a trick to keep all sidelobes below omni (0 dBi) and keep in mind that the polarization is somewhat random off the main beam.

You may also find that you have a challenge between gain at maximum scan angle. I would look at that carefully to make sure you have enough margin in your design.

I use a microstrip feed network, feeding the patch using a pin.
It is a linear array. I steer my beam in one axis(120 degrees) , in other axis i have to control my sidelobe level with maximum of (-16 dB).

In microstrip patch (rectangular) i have some difficulties to achieve 120 degree of coverage without phased array.

Hi, Luciano_Inatel
From your description , I underdatand your project is that you need 120 degree
3 dB AZIMUTH pattern , and need suppresion first side lobe to -16dB,
For the 120 degree covereage, maybe you can change your ground plane , or to use diple element not stacked microstrip patch ,
For the sidelobe , you just taper the amplitude ,it's easy to get -16dB level first sidelobe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…