Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

12 bit ADC resolution

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexz

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In what industrial applications the requirement for ADC resolution is higher then 10 bit? (where 12 bit ADC is needed)

Just the target application will answer this question.

Pretty much everything in industrial controls uses 12-bit and better resolution hese days. That includes analog input/ output modules, RTD conditioners, etc.

In fact, many applications today, such as 4-20mA analog input modules use 14-16 bits. For RTD's typically we use 24-bit sigma-delta ADCs. The actual resolution will be in the range of 16-18 bits.

The time of the 10-bit is gone and 12-bit applications are a dying breed.

16-18 bits give us more acurate data nothing more right VVV?
"i know the acurate data is the most import. thing in this case" but i like to ask.
thanx

eehero said:
16-18 bits give us more acurate data nothing more right VVV?
"i know the acurate data is the most import. thing in this case" but i like to ask.
thanx
well, it can offer more resolution, but can also give more range with same resolution - it depends on how the ADC is calibrated/Vref'd.
Consider this engineering mistake - say I calibrate a 10bit dac to measure 0-100V, each bit represents a voltage difference or change, but if I measure only up to 10 volts - the 10V thru 100 volt (I'll call head 'headroom') is a waste and never use all 10 bits of the dac.
thus, its always best to also calibrate the dacs working range to maximize the dacs resolution capability, but limits some flexibility in some ways too, which is why most DMM's will have finite ranges of measurement - to maximize the DACS resolution in their given/engineered measurement ranges.

*hopes that made sense*

That is what I mean, some applications do not require high resolution ADCs, but some of them are desperate. So which ones are desperate or desire for more then 10 bit?

jit_singh_tara said:
medical equpmnts !temperature readings....
Medical equipment rarely reads temperature outside 0 to 100C range with resolution higher than 0.1C. That multiplies to 1000 A/D counts or 10bits.
Which industrial applications?
One of the ways to find out is to look-up datasheets for some 12-bit A/Ds. The potential applications are usually listed on the 1st page. Then look up the app notes for these A/Ds.

Status
Not open for further replies.