Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100 watt means in term of its consumption ..!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zidanfadi

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
if a bulb is of 100 watt ... what its mean ..... it consuming 100 watt in a hour or what ...???

Hello zidanfadi,

100 watt on bulb is the power which is take from the power supply. It's the product P = V*I.

Regards

Rainer

Or, looking at it another way, it consumes 100 Watt Hours when it's been on for one hour. In usual units that would be 0.1KWH. The amount of power used in Watts is not related to time. When you are charged for electricity, the power you use it is multiplied by how long you use it for. Watts x Hours = Watt Hours.

Brian.

if a bulb is of 100 watt ... what its mean ..... it consuming 100 watt in a hour or what ...???
100W is the power consumed. Power delivered for a period of time is a measure of the energy used. It is the product of power and time. In your case the energy used would be 0.1kWh

i know bro..... my Question is how much power will be consumed in an hour ,,, if u use 100 watt's
bulb....!!!

- - - Updated - - -

so u want to say .,.... 100 watt bulb will consume 100 watts in an hour ...????

- - - Updated - - -

So u want to say ,,, 100 watt bulb will consume 100 watts in an hour ...???? is it really like that ..??

i know bro..... my Question is how much power will be consumed in an hour ,,, if u use 100 watt's
bulb....!!!

If you bring time into the equation then it is Energy not Power that you are measuring/calculating. So, a 100W bulb consumes 100W of Power. In one hour it will consume 100Wh (Watt Hours) or 360kJ (kilo Joules) of Energy.

Keith

To the original poster:
You don't consume power by the hour! You consume energy by the hour.

And it is the product of power and time. The usual measure is in kilowatt hours (kWh)

ALL of your questions can be answered easily if you understand the units of measure in ANY equation.

So you must understand these terms carefully :

Energy is measured in joules : J
It is the ability to do work.

How quickly energy is used, is called Power, measured in Joules/sec. This unit is Watts, or W

So Watts is actually the speed at which energy is being used !
You 100-Watt bulb is using 100-Joules every second.

Now we come to KwH.

Notice the units : Kw x Hour. This means Power x Hours
Power is : Joules /sec

1000 (Joules/sec) x 3600 (sec)
= 1000 x 3600 ( Joules/sec x sec)
= 3,600,000 (Joules -- the 'sec' cancels) which is energy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back