Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

100+ GHz Noise Sources

Status
Not open for further replies.

sergio mariotti

Advanced Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone has some experience on 100 GHz (and higher freq) Noise Generators?

Which is the best factory that build noise source?

Russian or American?

To my knowledge, it is difficult to use avalanche diodes as noise sources above ~90 GHz. The ENR drops fast due to P/N junction reactance.
I have seen ELVA-1 Russian High Power W-band noise source; I think they use one or more special IMPATT diodes to generate a high noise power.
I have seen a paper in which the authors fed a standard avalanche diode with a normal DC Bias for avalanche breakdown, and added a RF injected signal at e.g. 50 GHz. Upon using a high-pass filter at output, they claimed to achieve a higher ENR at 100 GHz.
So far I know there is an UK company still making gas-discharge noise tubes up to 140 GHz. I wonder if there is any other method to generate a reasonable ENR for >90 GHz.

Yes, I know several methods how to generate signals or noise at >90 GHz.
The problem is that by using multipliers (US Patent of 1993) or upconverters introduces many uncertainties and the resulting ENR is rarely as good as 13-15 dB used < 90 GHz.
We have used gas-discharge tubes with ENR ~ 15 dB for many years, but they are not too practical now. You need several kV to kick-on the tube, and several Watts to run it.
The people working in THz range use either frequency multipliers or beating two laser signals in a non-linear device. Both have a low efficiency and output power.

---------- Post added at 20:15 ---------- Previous post was at 20:09 ----------

To Lurchman:

I am afraid you have confused two quite different problems: we have discussed noise sources with ENR>13 dB suitable for >90 GHz noise measurement.
The NIST paper of 2002 refers to the correlation measurement of AM and PM noise in oscillators. This is completely different issue.
By the way, I invented the described correlation method in 1966 (M.S.thesis, CVUT, Prage, CZ) two years before Litton patented it in the U.S.

Jiripolivka,

I mentioned upconverting a noise source which can be done by beating an oscilator with your hot/cold nois source.

I further mentioned that there might be a need to calibrate it which is what the NISt paper is partly about (and the reason I remember the 1801 paper is the number is the same as an early CPU = worked on which was the only "space ready" one of it's time).

Now I don't know what method you use for calibrating a noise source when you have to "roll your own" equipment at a frequency above any available test equipment and I actually would be interested to know which method you would prefer.

But one method is using a linear downconverter and true RMS reading meter and direct comparison to a known source if you have one. But if you don't have a known source you have to know what your downconverter behaviour is for a sanity check and you have to be able in turn to measure such things as it's oscillator quality.

At Spacek Labs. we calibrate our noise sources and low-noise receivers up to 110 GHz using a liquid-nitrogen-cooled load. Such device radiates exactly 77 Kelvins as we live at the Pacific shore. I do not think there is a more accurate noise-temperature source.

With Sergio we were discussing the problem that >90 GHz, finding a noise source with ENR>10 dB (comparable to the old gas-discharge tubes) is difficult.
Upconverting lower-frequency noise spectrum is possible as well as frequency multipliers, but the stability of such ENR is a problem as well as achieving ENR >10 dB.

The 2002 IEEE paper by NIST authors refers to a completely different problem, measuring AM and PM noise in oscillators.

Status
Not open for further replies.