Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

1-D Eigenmode Simulation on CST: Dispersion Diagram for a Unit Cell of a Leaky Wave Antenna

KeysorSoze

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I am trying to perform eigenmode simulation to obtain dispersion diagram for a paper "https://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?tp=&arnumber=9055410" Figure 3 (b), but I am not getting the desired result. I have tried performing the simulations in both HFSS and CST and the summary ppt (of errors) along with simulation models (.zip) is attached.

In CST, I have applied periodic boundary condition (with parametric sweep of phase angle difference between the periodic boundaries) in the direction of the guiding structure and the other two boundaries as Electric, but as it turns out the eigenmode are obtained for a waveguide created due to via-walls and electric boundary condition I give (explained in PPT). Hence dispersion diagram is similar to a waveguide. Essentially, I want to figure out the boundary conditions.

I have also attached the simulation model in HFSS in case that is required.

Any help or ideas will be appreciated :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    143.4 KB · Views: 8
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    406.9 KB · Views: 10
  • EigenmodeSimulations.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

PlanarMetamaterials

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It looks like in your CST, you'd want the boundary on the right to be a PMC rather than a PEC. As you indicated, a PEC isn't quite correct.

In the HFSS simulation, surrounding 4 walls with a PML is probably excessive and may give errors due to the structure being too open. I would at least be sure to simulate a large number of modes and sort through them all for one that looks right (perhaps > 20 modes).

KeysorSoze

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
It looks like in your CST, you'd want the boundary on the right to be a PMC rather than a PEC. As you indicated, a PEC isn't quite correct.

In the HFSS simulation, surrounding 4 walls with a PML is probably excessive and may give errors due to the structure being too open. I would at least be sure to simulate a large number of modes and sort through them all for one that looks right (perhaps > 20 modes).
Hello,
Thank you for the reply and pointing out the PMC boundary. I tried simulating with the following boundary conditions (in the screenshot), in both CST and HFSS in eigenmode and got similar results but not of the paper. I simulated until the 20th mode, screenshot attached but none of them seem to match the behavior in the paper.

Also, if possible could you please point out the proper simulation setup values for HFSS for Eigenmode simulation? (I have attached the screenshot (Capture2_Conditions).

In the HFSS simulation, surrounding 4 walls with a PML is probably excessive and may give errors due to the structure being too open.
What should be the optimum distance? I used the classic condition (lamda/4).

Attachments

• Capture_2_S11.PNG
    Capture_2_S11.PNG
    103.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Capture_2.PNG
    Capture_2.PNG
    738.5 KB · Views: 9
  • Capture_2_Conditions.png
    Capture_2_Conditions.png
    146.2 KB · Views: 5

PlanarMetamaterials

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to start this reply by stating that there is no good way to simulate an open domain in HFSS's eigenmode solver -- specifically since it is primarily meant for use with closed structures. That being said, there are many tools that give reasonable results with an open domain, such as PMLs.

Unfortunately, it appears something was horrendously wrong with your setup. Your domain surrounding the unit cell was made of PML material, not air or vacuum. There seemed to be too many PML objects. I deleted all the PMLs and placed impedance boundaries on the outer edges (I've found this to be a reasonable approach, but don't take the resulting data to be 'correct').

This seemed to produce something like the mode you are looking for. I plotted the fifth mode of the simulation (at k_x = 0 degrees) below, which seems to agree with the lower band of the mode you are looking for. See my updated simulation file attached.

Good luck!

1642179554186.png

Attachments

• SarkarPaper_UnitCellSinusoidal.zip
    60.6 KB · Views: 6

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor