Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

✐ ☝ How to use PC power in sleep mode without blackout in the long run

Status
Not open for further replies.

oveis0911

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello computer and computer power on (because of saving time and fun Quick switch to desktop) I do not want to turn off during the day and night stages of scattered use (most of the night) I tested to see eight months scattered in sleep mode and used the system Its input blows one of the two capacitors and shuts down the power.

Last edited:

Hi,

I don't know much about computers, but I do find that surprising; some computers are left on for years for work or monitoring purposes, they might overheat or shut down sometimes or need a good clean. 24 hours x 8 months x 30 days is only 5760 hours... Strange to have such a short lifetime for a computer in sleep mode, but I'm unaware of what 'sleep' means for a computer, I rarely use it, maybe the computer is still using far more resources than the term 'sleep' or 'hibernate' suggests... Very hot where you live or something? Maybe the capacitors are low quality electrolytics? If you can identify them and check their datasheet, you might be able to see a reason for that having happened, possible even a specification with the expected lifetime in hours at such and such a temperature. Really wouldn't know what to suggest.

oveis0911

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
This is an operating system function in conjunction with hardware. The 'standby' mode copies present operating setups and RAM to hard drive and puts hardware in a power down mode. When you touch the wakeup button it wakes up hardware that pulls the configurations and restores RAM to point before it went to sleep.

Works best if you have a fast SSD system hard drive.

If you have a power loss the hardware may lose the knowledge it was put in a sleep mode and when repowered it will start a new full reboot process.

Status
Not open for further replies.