Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Mealy vs Moore Design

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: how to convert mealy machine to moore machine

One is without cycle delay and makes timing path longer. Another is with a cycle delay and makes timing better.

why is that?

Isn't it too obvious if you understand we're talking about Mealy and Moore machine ?

I know mealy is faster and has no cycle delay, but he said that makes timing path longer. but i donnu why w/o cycle delay makes timing path longer?

No cycle delay = no flop.
The path is combinational and it must be a longer path than the one staged by flops, provided the surrounding logic is exactly the same.

No cycle delay = no flop.
The path is combinational and it must be a longer path than the one staged by flops, provided the surrounding logic is exactly the same.

Got it, thanks for the explanation!

Hello,

My problem is related with Mealy vs Moore Design thread. I need to make a comparison of both machines (differences, common points). In every publication I've read, (books, websites, lectures) this problem boils down to give their definitions and some diagrams with examples which indicate the difference. But, what can I add to it? Is there anything to add and justifyit?

Thanks!

I would like to contradict balu here. Please refer the attached document for details. It states Moore (and not Mealy) suffers from glitches because of Clock to Q and combinational logic delays. Mealy, as expected, suffers from metastability.

HTH.
the file what you attached was damaged can you please attach it again?

Re: difference between moore and mealy

why probability of occurring metastability is more in mealy compared to moore???

I dont Know why this (Moore Vs Mealy) topic is of that much interest.
I generally will not follow any thing, while writing a state machine....

Re: difference between moore and mealy

hi,
i understood what you are telling . i have one doubt.
how the mealy faster than moore.
and for designing of the system which one is more useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back