Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Why PMOS transistors are used on top of NMOS transistors in bias circuit?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MK28

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
In a bias circuit, usually PMOS transistors are used on top of NMOS transistors,,,,why is that ? can't i replace PMOS with NMOS ?

bias

of course u can use nmos only. That's the case in NMOS processs. Pmos is use to get high swing

Re: bias

You can replace them, but the threshold voltage of a NMOS transistor increase if its source and bulk terminals are not at the same potenctial!! So, if you don't have enough voltage from VDD to GND, some NMOS transistors can not turn on!!

And Usually NMOS transisitors are closer to the ground and PMOS transisitors are closer to the VDD!!

bias

PMOS is formed in Nwell, so it's bulk can be connected to source, while NMOS is formed in P type substrate. if you put NMOS close to Vdd, then the Vth will vary with the source voltage of the NMOS. So the output current will be not stable.

Re: bias

You could do it as suggested by using Depletion mode NMOS.
BUt using normal NMOS in a CMOS process, I donot think it can be done.
For example:
think of a NMOS current source for a PMOS differential pair.
Also think of a constant -gm circuit , for the lower NMOS diode what would be its VGS and hence the vdsat. And if this is used to bias some other circuitry, think how it would effect the output swing
I could not look at the brighter side

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back