Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

How to wire up LM35 to read voltage corresponding temp. ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack// ani

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Problem with LM35

Hi all,

How should I wire up LM35 to read voltage corresponding a temperature with my dmm? When I connected this sensor as shown in the schematic below with 5VDC, it gets too hot….almost close to damage. What could be the possible reason??

Thanks

Re: Problem with LM35

There is nothing wrong with your schematic. I would look for the following:

1. You connected the pins of the IC to the wrong points. This may be due to not looking properly when making the connections or by different IC packages having different pinouts or by solder bridges to pins that should be left unconnected.

2. You have a heavy load (low resistance) on the output.

Re: Problem with LM35

Most likely you connected +Vs pin to 0V and the GND pin to +V. In such a case LM35 will draw a lot of current and can be easily damaged if left for some time ..
Bear in mind that pin configuration is often marked as "bottom view" ..
Shortening the Vout pin to +Vs or GND pins does not cause any damage, so if you are lucky your LM35 can be still alive ..
Rgards,
IanP

Status
Not open for further replies.