Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

what are second order terms in undersampling

Status
Not open for further replies.

pankaj jha

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hello all !!!

I am reading "Filter Basics: Anti-Aliasing" a tutoral by Maxim (https://www.maximintegrated.com/en/app-notes/index.mvp/id/928).

I am confused in the section of undersampling.
I am attaching the image of the pdf of the section where I am confused.

The tutorial says "Undersampling at 4MHz yields first-order sum and difference terms (f1 + f2 and f1 - f2) of 14MHz and 6Mz, and second-order terms (2f1, 2f2, 2f1 + f2, f1 + 2f2, | 2f1 - f2 |, | f1 - 2f2) | of 8MHz, 20MHz, 18MHz, 2MHz, 24MHz, and 16MHz. "

I am OK with the "first-order sum and difference terms".

I am confused as to how to justify the second order terms? where do they come from? any formula/expresssion? any book or website is welcome.

Code:
df = n*f1 + m *f2 (n, m = 0, +/-1, +/-2 ..)
Second order terms have n or m = +2 or -2

Hi FvM !!!
Thanks for your reply.
I understand sampling (normal or undersampling) as summation of shifted versions of the input. Even the expressions for the sampled signal do not show anything like the equation you've mentioned.
Kindly elaborate on the equation. If possible, can you give me the source of this equation.
I want to understand it completely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back