Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TRIAC switching problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

raf23

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I have a speed control circuit for a 230v ac motor. It has got BTA 16 Triac for pahse control and it is driven by an optocoupler moc3021 and the trigger signal is coming from a pic16f676 mc. Trigger signal is given according to an input event to the micro controller. The problem is Traic is getting switched on automatically sometimes when I turn on mains. I found that it is because somehow the triac driver gets the drive voltage from the micro controller. But it is not happening always. I cannot change anything in hardware . I also tried in software not to trigger the triac for 2 seconds from the power on but still the problem persists. Is there anything that I should try to get around this problem?

check the snubber ckt. there is a snubber for TRIAC and MOC3021 and combiled with gate protection. ref MOC3021 datasheet.

Microcontroller initialization should happern without any initial delay.
Microcontrller may get reset during mains ON/OFF. Due to EMI/EMC. u can chaeck that.

Trigger signal I/P event may get triggered during mains ON/OFF. chk trigger ckt.

I have a speed control circuit for a 230v ac motor. It has got BTA 16 Triac for pahse control and it is driven by an optocoupler moc3021 and the trigger signal is coming from a pic16f676 mc. Trigger signal is given according to an input event to the micro controller. The problem is Traic is getting switched on automatically sometimes when I turn on mains. I found that it is because somehow the triac driver gets the drive voltage from the micro controller. But it is not happening always. I cannot change anything in hardware . I also tried in software not to trigger the triac for 2 seconds from the power on but still the problem persists. Is there anything that I should try to get around this problem?
Hi raf
Can you please show me the circuit that you're referring to ?
Besides these issues : when you want use a triac as a switch for alternative current , and when your command signal is supplied from a DC source , you can't simply connect it via a usual opto coupler like MOC3021 ! you need to use an opto coupler with a zero cross detection circuit . there are many of the opto couplers for such a purpose which have a zero cross detection circuit , internally . you should go through them .

Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.